ethanmelch

Beardie name(s)
Baby
Hi, this is an update on the bearded dragon i rescued a month ago. We decided to name her jiggly puff because her beard is big lol. She now weighs 542-550 grams and were still doing critical care but every other day. I still have to kind of force the food carefully into her mouth but she takes it more comfortably. We feed her chopped grasshoppers along with cucumbers and were gonna start including actual greens into her diet so she stays at a healthy weight. She still isnt food motivated to eat on her own but is getting more aggressive when she eats. We resolved the pinworms problem but she still has the respiratory infection. We had a culture done of her saliva and it came back positive for bacterias called klebsiella and Pseudomonas which is noted “rare” for them. Puffs on her second medication now (Marbofloxacin) and she takes 0.15ML of it everyday. Shes only been on it for theee days and her skin is starting to brighten up a bit more (Were hoping its the medicine finally working) but shes still constantly swallowing/heavy breathing and has excessive saliva which were also hoping the medicine clears overtime. But heres what i need help with, We noticed that the inside of her throat is black. Could that be respiratory infection related or something else ?

Contacting vet tomorrow about it but wanted extra opinions

Its hard to get a pic of it

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0972.jpeg
    IMG_0972.jpeg
    344.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0974.jpeg
    IMG_0974.jpeg
    364 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0975.jpeg
    IMG_0975.jpeg
    305.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0977.jpeg
    IMG_0977.jpeg
    229.2 KB · Views: 59

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi, this is an update on the bearded dragon i rescued a month ago. We decided to name her jiggly puff because her beard is big lol. She now weighs 542-550 grams and were still doing critical care but every other day. I still have to kind of force the food carefully into her mouth but she takes it more comfortably. We feed her chopped grasshoppers along with cucumbers and were gonna start including actual greens into her diet so she stays at a healthy weight. She still isnt food motivated to eat on her own but is getting more aggressive when she eats. We resolved the pinworms problem but she still has the respiratory infection. We had a culture done of her saliva and it came back positive for bacterias called klebsiella and Pseudomonas which is noted “rare” for them. Puffs on her second medication now (Marbofloxacin) and she takes 0.15ML of it everyday. Shes only been on it for theee days and her skin is starting to brighten up a bit more (Were hoping its the medicine finally working) but shes still constantly swallowing/heavy breathing and has excessive saliva which were also hoping the medicine clears overtime. But heres what i need help with, We noticed that the inside of her throat is black. Could that be respiratory infection related or something else ?

Contacting vet tomorrow about it but wanted extra opinions

Its hard to get a pic of it

Thanks
We need Tracie to look at this @Drache613Shes our vet tech mod on here
Please go over the UVB your using and where in the tank is it? Brand and bulb please
Surface basking temps and how are you taking them NO stick ons they are inaccurate

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry your girl is having some trouble!
Interesting that you mentioned there was Klebsiella & Pseudomonas bacteria. While they are rare,
they are notoriously known for being the primary cause for fungal type of issues as well as culprits
for respiratory infections.
The Marboflaxin should help those types of gram negative bacterias clear up. How long have you
noticed the bacteria being black? Did the vet not notice that at all?
That may be fungal related. You could try getting some raw unpasteurized or manuka honey, & thin
it out with warm water enough to make it easy enough to use with a dropper or syringe. Just give a
few drops daily to help with fungal issues. It is all natural & your dragon should like the flavor, too.

Tracie

ethanmelch

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Baby
Hello,

Sorry your girl is having some trouble!
Interesting that you mentioned there was Klebsiella & Pseudomonas bacteria. While they are rare,
they are notoriously known for being the primary cause for fungal type of issues as well as culprits
for respiratory infections.
The Marboflaxin should help those types of gram negative bacterias clear up. How long have you
noticed the bacteria being black? Did the vet not notice that at all?
That may be fungal related. You could try getting some raw unpasteurized or manuka honey, & thin
it out with warm water enough to make it easy enough to use with a dropper or syringe. Just give a
few drops daily to help with fungal issues. It is all natural & your dragon should like the flavor, too.

Tracie
Hi, im sorry for the late reply, its been so stressful lately. Were now nebulizing her with gentamicin and saline mixed for thirty minutes to an hour along with the marbofloxacin. It turns out she has a severe case of YFD, we think at least (Some of her scales are dark grey and yellow). Thank you for the honey suggestion. Were hoping the vet can fit her in later today, but were hoping to get her on trebinafine oral med and lamisil AT applied twice a day for treatment (Does this plan sound good?) Were also gonna soak/bathe her in Nolvasan for thirty minutes. Would that be too long? I havent used Nolvasan before.

Is the “Nolvasan” something we would have to get from a vet or can we buy it online? If so, what should i get?

Thank you!

ethanmelch

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Baby
We need Tracie to look at this @Drache613Shes our vet tech mod on here
Please go over the UVB your using and where in the tank is it? Brand and bulb please
Surface basking temps and how are you taking them NO stick ons they are inaccurate
Hi, im sorry for the late reply, its been stressful lately. Shes in a 20Gal right now, but i use an Arcadia T5 12% tub Kit for UVB lighting. The basking temp gets 90-103F and we use Thrive digital thermometer/hydrometer probes.

Were moving her to an 85Gal hopefully tomorrow due to her being stressed from the small enclosure. We dont want her to have extra stress while shes trying to heal.

I know 120gal is best for them but i cant get one right now.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is ok, for now. The 85 gallon is sizeable, so no worries.
She will be absolutely fine with that size. If you get her out
often & she gets exercise outside of her tank no problem at
all.
Since you have the T5 12% tube bulb in Arcadia brand, you
can safely place it on top of the screen top, at around a 10-12
inch distance.
I hope she is doing better!

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom