Rescue chameleon :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaskingBaby

Sub-Adult Member
I was shocked to see a little cricket carrier with a pathetic looking tiny orange/pink chameleon inside when my boyfriend came over tonight. He rescued it from one of his friends who is being evicted tonight and was going to just leave it there to die. He "sold" it to my boyfriend for $20. They've had it for a "few months" and it's in horrible condition. Supposedly it's a Panther Chameleon but I don't know if he's correct. I honestly don't think he's going to make it. I have NO space for him with all my babies, but there's no way I could resist him.

You can see his every bone, he's so weak he can barely hang onto his branches and his tail is SO paper thin and has no muscle tone. He ate 3 mealworms while my boyfriend had him, and on the way over to my house he pooped and threw up everything he ate. Ever since then, he hasn't opened his eyes once. He's still breathing, but looks like he wants to die :( I feel so bad, I hope I can help him pull through this. I don't have any cham experience though. For now, lights are out and hopefully in the morning he'll feel slightly more refreshed.

Any prayers, tips, etc are appreciated. After he's in full health, he will need a home. Or if someone out there is comfortable with rehabbing him, I'd be willing to let him to go someone sooner.

Here he is before lights out:
IMG_1862.jpg

IMG_1861.jpg

IMG_1860.jpg

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
Hi there,

"He" is actually a she and she is a panther chameleon. I am not sure of the locale though.

She looks quite dehydrated so make sure you get her plenty of fluids. I would also feed her around 10 crix a day. Make sure they are dusted with multi vitamins and calcium. For the next couple of weeks, use calcium with d3 every other day.

He temps need to be around 80-85 in the basking area and make sure you keep her humidity around 65-75%.

Screen cages are almost a must as airflow is critical with these.

BaskingBaby

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
GoFast":2ph0asoy said:
Hi there,

"He" is actually a she and she is a panther chameleon. I am not sure of the locale though.

She looks quite dehydrated so make sure you get her plenty of fluids. I would also feed her around 10 crix a day. Make sure they are dusted with multi vitamins and calcium. For the next couple of weeks, use calcium with d3 every other day.
He temps need to be around 80-85 in the basking area and make sure you keep her humidity around 65-75%.
Screen cages are almost a must as airflow is critical with these.

Thanks so much for the tips. I've only had her about 2 hours so I haven't had time to look up anything about her. I was totally shocked when he came home with her. I appreciate your help. I did mist her with warm water before lights when out but she didn't drink. Offered her crickets but she wouldn't open her eyes. Is there a way to dribble babyfood or repta-aid or water on her nose as with the dragons? I know they are SO sensitive to stress and I think she's totally overwhelmed.

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
You could try doing that, but I don't think it really work. Reptaid, if you have any, could be incredibly helpful right now. Luckily most chameleons her age are pretty defensive and don't really hesitate to open there mouths to show you how tough they are.

They are prone to stress, and she may not have drank or eaten yet because she is tired and stressed. See how she is tomorrow. You want to mist her plants at least a few times a day making sure that every thing is soaked. They will drink from the leaves.

As for eating, give her time. If it's not too late, she'll come around. I would try cup feeding and letting some just go in her enclosure.

BaskingBaby

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
GoFast":1qd39esn said:
You could try doing that, but I don't think it really work. Reptaid, if you have any, could be incredibly helpful right now. Luckily most chameleons her age are pretty defensive and don't really hesitate to open there mouths to show you how tough they are.

They are prone to stress, and she may not have drank or eaten yet because she is tired and stressed. See how she is tomorrow. You want to mist her plants at least a few times a day making sure that every thing is soaked. They will drink from the leaves.

As for eating, give her time. If it's not too late, she'll come around. I would try cup feeding and letting some just go in her enclosure.

Thanks again. I will try some reptaid tomorrow morning for her. Hopefully she'll be more alert and actually open her eyes. Poor little thing :( I am aware of the basic things of owning a cham, I actually planned on getting one years ago before I got into dragons and BTS. I don't plan on keeping her though, I don't have the right conditions for her and am VERY crammed for space in my apartment with all the babies I have from Kora. I have a friend who might take her....I haven't asked him yet though. Will keep everyone updated...I appreciate your help once again.

BaskingBaby

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I just wanted to let everyone know, this poor little girl died overnight. RIP little orange girl :( She went through a lot in her short little life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mei mei
Top Bottom