Surviving but not thriving...........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roja

My Roja is about 5-6 months old. She is around 8" long. I have no idea if this is an average size for her age or not?
(we refer her to as a her for no reason other than my 7 yr old daughter wants her to be a girl :D ).

We had some big issues, almost lost her: http://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=133065&hilit=roja

Glad to say she has been doing much better since. Shed twice since August. Eating well (at times). Always eliminating well. Other than not liking her veggies and not seeming to like baths at all, she's seemed okay... but not happy and not really thriving.

She is now in a 50 gallon tank. Proper basking and cool side temps (taken with digital probes on each side). Using the Reptisun 10.

Check out the pics from August in the thread above and then look at her now:
img00964201010241541.jpg

img00960201010241539.jpg

Last week she went under a rock and wouldn't come out all day.

She usually basks most of the day.. she ate normal (which is only about 10 crickets-- doesn't seem like enough to me) morning. Poo'd normal. But then curled up in the dark for hours.

img00957201010241537.jpg

*****UPDATE******

She has been pretty black on her underside for days now. She rarely will chase crickets, only eat them if they are right in front of her. She moves around okay.. jumps down from her perch and will run away quickly and surely when I try to pick her up, but doesn't seem to want to hunt anything.

She goes through about 4 dozen crickets a week, dusted with calcium powder. She won't eat greens. (I've tried everything).

She often seems upset or moody and won't eat much for a day or so then will eat a lot.
She hates baths and getting wet.
Doesn't like to be held.

She's only shed twice since August.

Thoughts?

lovemylittleyoshi

Hatchling Member
Hmm... I'm not an expert so it's hard to tell. It's at least a good sign that she ate well and poo'd. Mine is only 7 months and he has been going into his cave earlier than usual, and sleeping in longer than normal... but not all day. Has it just been today? Maybe wait until tomorrow and see how she is. Sorry I wish I could be of more help!! :(

Gail

BD.org Addict
She looks great, small for her age but thats not surprising considering the condition she was in when yuo got her. Keep feeding lots and she will catch up.
Yes, she is way too young to brumate. If she doesn't want to leave her cave, then take it out. They really don't need a hide and if its causing problems then why have it?

Roja

Original Poster
Puffing, hissing. Running away from me. Wants to hide. Doesn't want to eat. :(

Sad Roja.

fez09

Extreme Poster
Maybe you should double check your temps...Sometimes when they're too hot they display that type of angry behaviour.

Roja

Original Poster
Basking spot 101.3
Cool side 79.5
Middle (average) 88.2

All digital probe readings.

Roja

Original Poster
I don't know what's going on with her. She has been black for 2 days. Entire underside covered with black squiggly marks and black throat.. even her tail looks dark.

She gets dark after every bath.. she HATES being in water, which is strange. The tub temp is warm, not too hot, not too cold.. what I'd run for my child. Just covering her belly - up to her shoulders, but not to neck. She's NEVER liked baths.

But ever since she went into the cave over the weekend she doesn't want to be touched at.all. She's hissing at me, displaying with open mouth. :(

I don't know what to make of this very unhappy behavior.

Anyone??

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
I'm not sure what is going on but all i can suggest is that she might be about to shed? I know my beardie can get really irritable when she is about to shed- stress marks and doesn't like to be handled as much. Sorry i cant be of more help, hope you sort out the problem soon

Roja

Original Poster
She just got finished shedding last week, which is only the 2nd time she's shed since we got her in August. She's been pretty much barely growing, not very interested in eating, grumpy, black throat and tail since we got her.

Makes me sad.

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
ah i hope she cheers up soon. if its any help, my beardie was not growing much when i first got her but all of a sudden she's seemed to have a growth spurt- yours might too.

Gail

BD.org Addict
Has she ever been tested for parasites? Something is making her not feel well, she should probably see a vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom