EMERGENCY! HELP ME..Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 3 bearded dragons that I've had about a year.
today I wake to my boyfriend screaming at our most dominant male to "Let go!"

turns out he crushed the head of my little girl sally.
he bit down directly on her skull, she's bleeding, her eyes appear to be blown up almost she's not moving from her neck down...

she's alive and I don't know what to do. please help me

brittani299

Extreme Poster
I would take her to the vet if they are open. Beardies aren't social animals they shouldn't be housed together.

Damieboo

Hatchling Member
Oh gosh please take her to the vet! It sounds bad. She might be paralyzed if the male shook her while he was biting down. There's nothing you can do at home in this situation without knowing the full extent of her injuries.

As a side note, you didn't state if they were just out together or if they're caged together so I won't make assumptions but if they ARE housed together, they need to be put in separate cages because beardies aren't social, not ever. They might be docile towards one another for weeks, even months, but one always inevitably turns on the other to show their dominance. It's not out of hate...it's how their social structure works.

Sorry that you have to go through such a scary situation, I hope she turns out ok!

Tonja

BD.org Addict
If her injuries are that severe, I would find an emergency vet if none are open, If her skull is that badly damaged and her eyes blown her survival rate is not that good. If she makes it, she is going to need constant care,be hand fed, wont be able to climb to bask, so her lights would need to be lowered to her incuding her UVB. I hate to say this but, if it were my beardie and the injuries that extensive from what you are saying, it may be best to put her down and end her suffering. This is hard for me to say losing my dragon to unknown illness 4 days ago. As much as it hurts, you have to do what is right for her, not you at this point. If she is truly paralyzed from the neck down, I would have her put down.

brittmeister

Original Poster
just so I'm not leaving you hanging, they were housed together. they've always tolerated each other. my boys get along fine. it's the weirdest thing. then just today out of no where.. It's the animal kingdom I shouldn't have been surprised.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
I am so sorry you lost her. Its hard I know I lost my 2 yr old to an unknown illness 4 days ago.

Damieboo

Hatchling Member
Don't blame yourself! Accidents happen. So sorry to hear about the little girl. ): My condolences.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
brittmeister":n0flyxw9 said:
they were housed together. they've always tolerated each other. my boys get along fine. it's the weirdest thing. then just today out of no where..

It's harsh but it's what we try to tell people.

A lot of people get mad when we recommend separate enclosures, especially if they personally have housed the dragons together for awhile already.

It just goes to show, that things can happen in an instant, and just because they are living together, doesn't mean they aren't capable of one day flipping, which is often the case, not the exception.

I'm sorry for your loss, but please, separate the two you have left before something like this happens again.

-Brandon

brittmeister

Original Poster
Yeah, no kidding, they've a divider at the pet store. I have a 90 gallon tank, so spliting it wouldnt be bad would it?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What are the dimensions?

For adults it might be a little cramped, but as long as you can get temperatures and uvb proper in a split tank, you should be fine. But I wouldn't consider it a permanent solution, unless your 90g has decent floor space.

-Brandon

brittani299

Extreme Poster
When people see pictures like that they think ahh they like each other but it is actually a dominance thing. You should divivde the tank ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom