PowerSun MVB Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello All,

Please read the following BEFORE posting regarding PowerSun MVB lighting issues:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=105419

That is the Official Research Thread which all cases need to go to that pertain to eye & health problems due to the Zoomed Powersun MVB 100 & 160 watt bulbs.

If anyone has had their bearded dragon under a new Powersun 100 or 160 watt & has had recent health or eye problems or complications, that you believed to have been caused by this MVB, please contact me. Frances would like for willing participants/volunteers to send her their Powersun so she can test them please. It would really help out. Here is a recent thread answering some concerns of mine on the UVB discussion board:

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/UVB_Meter_Owners/message/6614

Here is the initial earlier report by Frances Baines regarding the initial detection of the problems:

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/mercvapourfloods.htm#zoomedpowersun

How can you help? There are a couple of ways that you can help us. This is requested directly from Frances Baines:

"They can help in two ways.
Firstly, they can keep a diary of exactly what happened to their beardie,
with dates and details like what lamp they bought, how far above their
beardie's head it was placed, how soon they saw symptoms, what symptoms
there were.... and how long the beardie was exposed to the lamp before they
turned it off, and how the recovery progressed. All their posts on the forum
are useful, too, in this respect..
Photos of the set-up that caused the problem - showing the lamp - are really
helpful, as are the tragic pictures of the beardie with his eyes closed in
pain. I'll need to email them privately to get their written permission to
use their material, and to send them a copy of the Case Report I'll prepare,
so they can check it out and okay it.

Secondly, they can send me the lamp. It does cost maybe $15 - 20 sent by
regular USPS Airmail (by far the best way, in terms of time, money and
care - couriers are horrendously expensive and very rough with the parcels)
so not everyone will want to spend that... but I really do need at least one
BAD lamp that's caused a problem, to prove that the output from these is
hazardous. If people want to send me a lamp, again I'll need to email them
privately, to give them my address and instructions on how best to pack and
post the lamp to me."

Thank you for your assistance.

Tracie

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
Okay with some of the power suns becoming an issue, would it be better for me to keep 2 repti sun tubes on the big cage when he moves up to it?
Thanks

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Hello Julianne,

Yes, for now, please forego purchasing the Zoomed PowerSun & use the Reptisun 10 flourescent tube bulb instead since there have not been any reported eye problems with those lights. Thanks.

Tracie

TheRedDragonAkaRed

Hatchling Member
what about reti glo 10.0 i have 3 of those (2 coil and 1 tube)....the one coil got my one beardie sick...and the tube got both my beardies sick....because i was giving them each 6 hrs a day..............

i now have no UVB or anything for them just regular heat lamps......and thats how it will stay because uvb lights cause more problems then not having them on.....

plus iam dead broke after spending 200 on fixtgures and bulbs for my llizard which is all not refundable because the pet shop say i tampered with it,

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
TheRedDragonAkaRed":8899c said:
what about reti glo 10.0 i have 3 of those (2 coil and 1 tube)....the one coil got my one beardie sick...and the tube got both my beardies sick....because i was giving them each 6 hrs a day..............

i now have no UVB or anything for them just regular heat lamps......and thats how it will stay because uvb lights cause more problems then not having them on.....

plus iam dead broke after spending 200 on fixtgures and bulbs for my llizard which is all not refundable because the pet shop say i tampered with it,
Ok let me say this first you absolutely cannot go without a UVB for them long term.Believe me I totally understand the frustration as we all have experienced however without UVB beardies cannot synthesize D3 so regardless of the amount of calcium given it will do them no good and the result will be MBD.Now with that said ALL the reptiglo 10.0 bulbs have major issues.The coils and compacts of any brand should never be used as non of them are safe or appropriate for a diurnal animal like a beardie.The linear reptiglo 10.0 also has issues as well and to the best of my knowledge the only safe way to use it is to make sure the bulb is 10 inches away at least and it MUST be used in conjunction with a bright WHITE basking light set beside it.Even using this method there are still great possibility for a problem and at best I personally dont think they get te right UVB exposure when using it in this manner.I recommend either using a LINEAR reptiSUN 10.0 which is a safe and proven bulb or if you want to go the way of an MVB then I would stick with a Megaray or a TRex Active heat.You can get the reptisun for about 20$ online as opposed to twice the amount in the store and I believe the Megaray if I remember is 40$US and teh TRex is a bit more but still cheaper online then anywhere.

Niexist

Hey all, I'm an owner of one of the bulbs in question. I bought it appr. 2 months ago after logging onto this site, and saving up 90 dollars. I did a little research online, and saw the UVB output on the 100w was just not worth using, it was horrible. So I went with a 160w. I've seen huge leaps and bounds in the 2 months since I've had it, Lizard has probably doubled her weight, and is about to go through her second shed.

Would it be safe to assume my bulb is good?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Hello,

Yes, the issues have been with the Powersun 100 watt, & luckily the 160 watt has NOT had any reported problems as of yet. So, since your dragon has done so well with it, that is a safe assumption to have. That is great your dragon is doing well under it, & is healthy. :D

Tracie

Niexist

Honestly, she's not completely healthy, she still struggles, and all I can do is hope that proper care will correct the problem.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Hello,

Was she a rescue that you took in? Did she have metabolic bone disease? Has she had any eye issues that you feel pertain to use with this light?

Tracie

Niexist

Honestly she is a victim of my own bad husbandry when I first got her, I purchased her from a petco, and they sold me a little rinky dink light, and a red one for night time. I had her under those for about 3 months. I eventually got her changed over to the 160w MVB powersun, and she's a hundred percent better. I'll try to take a picture of her, but she's nearly doubled in size I have a picture where her head is no bigger than my thumb and she is probably 5-6 months old, now it's about 1.5x my thumb.

I never really checked the internet for information on them. I just assumed they grew really slow. I feel really bad for it, but I've done my best to make her happy I feed her phoenix worms and she's really regained her appetite. I don't know these are really such sensitive animals, and it's so so so much harder than something like a cat, or a dog, and I felt it was the same. Sometimes the rewards are harder to see than a dog, or a cat, but I feel they are worth it.

Anyway, my next two projects are building a big fake rock structure, that will minimize glass-dancing, and give them something with a more natural feel than tile, and a dubia colony.

Hopefully good care now can at least make her have a happy life.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Hello,

Well, what matters now is that you are fixing everything & making things much better for her. Yes, they are very sensitive to temperature & feeding. Everything needs to be pretty accurate for optimal health.
Great you are working on new enclosure decor & a roach colony. I Hope all of that works out well for you.
I am glad that she is doing much better now, & is growing too. :blob8:
If you need anything, don't hesitate to post a topic & ask questions.

Tracie

Niexist

Honestly I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with MBD dragons, I know she is happy now, she eats 30+ crix a day, and just reached a foot in size, but I'm wondering if her joint problems will work out ever, her movement is ackward, not like my other dragon that I got when I knew about proper care Novas, she is in zoom zoom mode, and loves my left shoulder, never the right.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Niexist, this one just might be a "micro" dragon. Usually MBD does work itself out, since it wasn't all that long you were uninformed. Keep up the great work and we want pictures of this little darling(s) as well as some photos of the new rockwork you are planning !
Janie :)

Swarn

great! mr.b has had his eyes closed for the past week on and off cause of this issue god that pisses me off now im out 50 bucks on a bulb and more importantly my dragon had to suffer that, great. is he going to be ok now? i mean he takes food eating normal he just keeps his eyes closed.. ugh i hope hes ok i just shut the light off as of reading the fourm what should i do now?? poor guy :(

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Sorry to hear he is having issues,poor little guy.He should be ok just let him go 2-3 days without UVB to allow time for his eyes to heal and get yourself a TRex Active Heat or a Megaray as those are issue free.Personally I use the Megarays and will never use another if I can avoid it but the TRex is an equal alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom