Cactus pear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDevil

Hatchling Member
I couldn't figure that out either so all I've been doing is peeling it and then chop it into smaller bite sized pieces and the rest goes into the refrigerator. I have bought green and red. My beardie doesn't mind it, she doesn't eat a heck of a lot to begin with but she nibbles here and there.

EDGORE

Hello cpuma,jeritta,and blue devil. To prepare them:
use a rag to protect your hand. use a knife not a potato peeler, cut both ends off. vertically slice the prickly skin .then just peel the skin off, it should be an easy peel because of the first cuts. try to chop as much of the seeds as possible. maybe put it in a blender, your dragon wont get sick with a couple seeds.wild dragons eat them seeds and all. you can mostly find the pears in hispanic markets. called tunas. :wave:

If you live in Texas RIGHT NOW you can pick your own. I was hiking today and found a huge prickily pare that was loaded with fruit. Heres how you do it, First find a large catus patch. take a long good look around for rats or rattlesnakes. They will be in the rat nest this time of year. This is the best way to get bitten if you arent careful. Next take a pair of tongs and a paper bag. gently pull on the pairs if they dont come off then they arent ready. try another patty. the darker the purple the better. then take them home and with good leather gloves and a propane burner put a fork in them and heat them up and burn the spines off the pairs. then they shoud be fairy safe to handle, then slice them up and serve. They are loaded with seeds and offer almost no daliy value of anything other than water and purple poop. if you are lucky you might just find a big fat purple mouthed box turtle eating pairs near you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom