POOP...WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jortiz9758

Sub-Adult Member
Sorry about my french but, Stumpy has done this three times already. He goes poop and it all looks like this. One day it's normal...then a few days ltr it's like this. I see undigested greens all over. I feed him pinhead crickets, kale,cilantro, and butternut squash.
I know someone will ask so here it is:
He is on a Reptisun 10
His temps stay at 105 on the Hot side
He gets lights on from 8am to 8pm
Measured with a Digital thermometer w/probe

One neighbor said that because I leave food and water in for him all night he might be munching on it overnight and not digesting since his lights are off??..maybe>? any thoughts?

Stumpy063.jpg

Stumpy064.jpg

Stumpy065.jpg

Stumpy066.jpg

jortiz9758

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I would say he eats about 20 25 dusted crickets a day. I feed him fresh greens in the morning. I change it up for him from kale,collards,cilantro,bok choy. I give him carrots and butternut squash. The bugs I give to him in the afternoon, and the greens in the morning, but I leave them there all the time for him to munch on.

No offense taken :mrgreen:

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
I am going to apologize for the length of this post in advance :wink: .
How old is the little cutie ? If he is under 12 months of age, he should be getting 80% prey insects to 20% veggies. If over 12-18 than 80% veggies to 20% prey insects.
Thanks for not taking offense, when we answer the call for help, we don't know the amount of knowledge each person has.
I do see a well formed urate and poo in the bottom of that sink, so that looks good. You should actually feed like this for an infant/juvie:
Lights on-feed salad. 1-2 hours later-first feeding of insects however many he will eat in a 15 minute time span. If feeding crickets in the enclosure, make sure to remove excess at this time. 2 hours later (to allow basking temps that aid digestion) feed second bunch of insects, again as many as he will ingest in a 15 minute time span, and removing the excess. 2 hours later last feeding of insects, same as before. Wait at least an hour, before lights out. You can sprinkle calcium or vitamins (cal-5 times a week, vits 2 times a week) on the first insect feeding and on salad. You should have salad available throughout the day, and I do leave mine over night, without any issues.
I am wondering if your basking temps are high enough. Youngsters like around 110-120*F to digest properly, with the cool end around 80*F. Over night temps should not drop below 60-65*F.
How are you measuring temps ? Where are you measuring as well ?
Thanks, and hope this helps you out !
Janie.

jortiz9758

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ok...Stumpy is a recue of mine. I got him about a month or so back. I **think** he is about 6 months old? He weighs 55 grams. I have his temps measured with a digital thermometer and probe as I stated in my first post, and the temp is always at about 110 give or take.I am in florida and the temps in my house never go below 70. I am going to try and split up his cricket feedings like you stated and see if it helps.I feed him outside his enclosure and usually after he has his 25 crickets or so...he wont want anymore till the following day. Thank you.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Hey there,

Ive seen this mess a whole lot myself with Ruben. Rube is a rescue aswell and has a very delicate digestive system because he lives flat on his tummy.
First off, it isnt as bad as it looks. What he's done is swam through his poop ripping it all up. Even if he were having perfectly healthy bowel movements if he swam through it and made it into "poop soup," as i call it, there would be smaller pieces of greens in it even then.
Some of the green shreds look "normal" sized but you are getting a fe big chunks in there I see
I would definatly start to take out his food 2 hours before lights off to make sure he has everything digested in the heat and doesnt give him a chance to nibble.
Digestive discomfort isnt soemthing that neccisarily goes away over night, so i wouldnt be suprised if you change he feeding routine and you wont see improvement in his poop for at least a week.

Just keep checking on that poop!
Holly

WAFisherman

Hatchling Member
What time of day do you soak him?

Personally I don't think there is any concern there. Does it smell SUPER bad? If he poos on dry ground, is it messy\runny and stinky?

jortiz9758

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ethelia":9182e said:
Hey there,

Ive seen this mess a whole lot myself with Ruben. Rube is a rescue aswell and has a very delicate digestive system because he lives flat on his tummy.
First off, it isnt as bad as it looks. What he's done is swam through his poop ripping it all up. Even if he were having perfectly healthy bowel movements if he swam through it and made it into "poop soup," as i call it, there would be smaller pieces of greens in it even then.
Some of the green shreds look "normal" sized but you are getting a fe big chunks in there I see
I would definatly start to take out his food 2 hours before lights off to make sure he has everything digested in the heat and doesnt give him a chance to nibble.
Digestive discomfort isnt soemthing that neccisarily goes away over night, so i wouldnt be suprised if you change he feeding routine and you wont see improvement in his poop for at least a week.

Just keep checking on that poop!
Holly

Ok I guess I feel better now...he has gone poop everyday since then and it's been normal in the water...I think you are absolutely right about the "poop soup" I usually let him do his thing and take him out. I had to kill my curiosity, so after he went,I took him out and stirred things up a bit.....and yes it broke up into poop soup....my wife thought I was crazy...hehe

jortiz9758

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
WAFisherman":52594 said:
What time of day do you soak him?

Personally I don't think there is any concern there. Does it smell SUPER bad? If he poos on dry ground, is it messy\runny and stinky?

I will usually soak him when I get up around 3pm or so ( I work nights )...it never stinks super bad. When he does go in his tank it's never runny or anything...guess it is just "poop soup"....He seems to splsh around and want to get out after he goes so he stirs things up a bit...MAX on the other hand will go in the water and just sit there like...ahhhhh =)

jortiz9758

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I know what your saying Freeie...I'm going to have to watch him closer and avoid the soup...he usually goes as he is swimming around and I have to wait till he finishes..."No soup for you"!...(Seinfield ..Soup Nazi)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom