Male dragon biteing females neck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irwinshealth

Sub-Adult Member
If you don't separate them it will be death. A male will mate a female until death. Sorry but you better separate them and start saving for the extra set up

Irwinshealth

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
You should check out the thread on here about cohabitation. You can just put it in your google search bar and it will come up. I am not trying to scare u just letting you know what can happen. They may not be mating thus no eggs. They could just be fighting.

Irwinshealth

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Don't beat yourself up, you weren't aware of the harm it can cause. Now that you are I wish you the best of luck getting two habitats going. You will be amazed in the difference between the two. Their personalities will shine through a lot more :D Keep us posted! If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask :blob8:

This is my new set up, Its still a work in progress. I have to get my basking spot higher. It will give u an idea on how two can look. That and I like showing off my husbands hard work :lol:
139-1.jpg

Coliosis

Juvie Member
Also, even if it is mating (which it sounds like it) and not fighting, your female is way too young to be breeding so you don't want to put her through that. Sounds like your male is reaching sexual maturity so best to separate (or you will end up with WAY too many babies and a stressed momma). But just like Irwinshealth said, don't beat yourself up! I made this same mistake too.

@Irwinshealth- Beautiful setup!! I can't wait until my bf finishes ours :)

Chirple

Hatchling Member
Do you have anywhere near you that sells reptiles / housing ? I saw a front-opening 40 breeder for $150 locally. You can use an aquarium, too - and can pretty great deals (and free) from Craigslist, too. :)

I'm not sure of your plans, but I would not keep *either* bearded dragon in the 18x18x18. It's not enough room to have the necessary heat gradient or room to move around. Full grown, they are 18-24" !

For flooring, tile and reptile carpet are both very popular. :)

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
I have the 36x18x18 exo terra, and it is big enough for ONE dragon. It has the same dimentions as a 40 breeder. You do have to be creative with the lighting though so that the top doesn't melt. I have a 50 watt halogen spot light and a a few other incandescent of daylight CFLs around to very the lighting deal.

What you have right now, is WAY too small for your beardies. Go to walmart or wherever and grab two 60 quart sterilite plastic bins. They make excellent temporary housing, they are clear so they are almost like vivs and most importantly they will give your beardies the floor space and privacy that they need.

Irwinshealth

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
This is great news!!! Glad you were able to do it so quickly. When you get time you could post pics? We all love pics here :lol: In fact I'm hoping to get some updated ones of my boys this weekend. They got new blankets to show off. Hope to hear more soon

Irwinshealth

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I have the opposite issue myself. The weather warmed up around here today. I got home today to find both boys gaping and their basking spots up to 109!! Thank goodness I got home when I did. I will be purchasing some lower wattage bulbs. I too would love to see the chameleon photo updates :D

Irwinshealth

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Pantherchamelon

Idk overwhelmed there's always a catch to doing things the right way.

That's how I feel whenever I get everything ideal....weather or something changes and I have to start all over. lol The things we do for our spoiled brats :lol:

Tarragon

It can be hard on her body and the babies may have problems. Just like if a 13 year old girl got pregnant. Their bodies just arent ready yet. She might be ok now, but it's still just a little early.

Irwinshealth

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
AWW, I hate to see you go! You can always keep your account open and :lurk: Lurk! we like having you. sorry to hear your 13 year old is ill. I don't know if you are aware but when the time comes that your little one passes we have a memorial thread on here. Some people find it very useful to share. I myself have not been able to bring myself to do it for my Irwin.

On a happier note, I'm glad you have your bunch's housing all figured out and you girl soon on the mend. I haven't had a female but I heard have those eggs can take awhile to get their energy back.

I hope you will consider sticking around. We would love to see photos of your new beardie accommodations and their progress :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom