What's the best basking bulb besides petstores overpriced bu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
Now that I have 2 poopers.. I'm getting ready to change both their bulbs.. right now I'm using a regular household bulb for Prince, problem is I don't think it's hot enough.. and a petsmart 'basking bulb' for MJ.. (which is wayy to overpriced)

So what else can i find over the counter from walmart or target that's affordable and that you've used ?

Thanks

EmJagsz

Juvie Member
Try a higher watt household bulb. What watt are you using now regarding the household bulb?

Personally I use a 50 watt phillip's indoor/outdoor flood bulb on a dimmer in my 40 gal tank and it works great for me :)

Gail

BD.org Addict
I get floodlights at the local hardware store for around $5 bucks each. I have anywhere from 65 watts to 150 watts so I can adjust according to season and furniture hight. Don't get halogen bulbs though, they get super hot.

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
EmJagsz":61f37 said:
Try a higher watt household bulb. What watt are you using now regarding the household bulb?

Personally I use a 50 watt phillip's indoor/outdoor flood bulb on a dimmer in my 40 gal tank and it works great for me :)

I have a 75 watt I believe.. but no brand. It was like.. a generic brand a target for like $1.00... (mind you I wasn't expecting a 2nd beardie at all .. so not prepared !!)

Gail":61f37 said:
I get floodlights at the local hardware store for around $5 bucks each. I have anywhere from 65 watts to 150 watts so I can adjust according to season and furniture hight. Don't get halogen bulbs though, they get super hot.

So 'floodlights' right ? Ok i'll check around for that. Thanks alot :D ... $5 is a good deal.. MJ's light, the one i bought from ptsmart was like $17.99 ... that was back when I had no idea about this website and was sold all the wrong things :angry5:

tank4102

Juvie Member
just get a higher watt. when i diddint have a uth for my ball python, i found a blue party light bulb and my tank got 110 degrees, i was like holy %^$# so i had to turn it off because that kind of temp can kill my snake :blob5:

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Jasper's Mom":68430 said:
I use a 100w household bulb on a $5 dimmer. That way I have total control over the temperature.

where can you find a dimmer ??? Would they have it a local store ?

freitas

Hatchling Member
Aznrainbowdime":d4208 said:
Jasper's Mom":d4208 said:
I use a 100w household bulb on a $5 dimmer. That way I have total control over the temperature.

"where can you find a dimmer?" I guess someone has never heard of Home Depot? Suprising but i guess some of us do live under rocks.

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
freitas":e4972 said:
Aznrainbowdime":e4972 said:
Jasper's Mom":e4972 said:

"where can you find a dimmer?" I guess someone has never heard of Home Depot? Suprising but i guess some of us do live under rocks.

hey hey hey ! I have NEVER EVER EVER walked into a home depot or a hardware store before !!!! Dont make fun of me !!!!!

spencer451

I thought halogen bulbs were preferred? What difference does it make as long as the temp is good. I use halogen flood lights so the general basking area stays warm instead of a small concentrated area, as with a spot light.

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
spencer451":88e91 said:
I thought halogen bulbs were preferred? What difference does it make as long as the temp is good. I use halogen flood lights so the general basking area stays warm instead of a small concentrated area, as with a spot light.

I read somewhere on here that Halogen bulbs get waaaaayyy to hot for a beardie. But hten again I dont know... I'm still searching around myself :(

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
I found that with a halogen bulb that I had to make it so dim (to maintain the temperature) that there was almost no visible light coming from it. I've just had better luck with regular old incandescent bulbs.

twyliteskyz

Hatchling Member
i use a regular house light, i bought the 60-75 watt i cant recall off hand which, i bought the fancy full spectrum bulb pack. i use the metal dome heat lamp casing to concentrate the heat and it gets 112 degrees with a basking rock under it, perfect temps!
and i found it all at walmart in the hardware section.
i use a UVB tube for uvb. i even bought the UVB tube housing at home depot for 10 bucks. and bought the actual tube off petmountain for $23 and change,
you see you dont need name brand hardware it all does the same thing. the only name brand you really need is the UVB which is the reptisun 10. i mean why do you need to pay 3 times as much for a ballast with a picture of a lizard on it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom