Bearded Dragon regurgitated food

Status
Not open for further replies.

UberGeno

Hey! I'm a little worried about my new bearded dragon. He is ~2 to 3 months old. He is 7 and a half inches. Every time I feed him more than once a day, he gets real docile and regurgitates his food about a day or so after.

My setup goes as follows

-10 gallon terrarium
-50 watt UVB 10.0 bulb in a sundome fixture
-basking light
-a log that reaches within 4-5 inches of the light
-digital thermometer
-salad dish
-water dish

I started out feeding him between 5-6 small crickets a day, the info I got from the bearded dragon expert. Dovahkiin (beardies name) seemed content with his ritual 7 AM waking and 10AM feeding and basking all day with some play time. I did that for about a month. Then I got him some larger (medium sized) crickets. They are smaller than the width between his eyes, I make sure of that. I give him 5-6 of those, and he was content with that as well, never going after the cricket holder(which is visible, he goes after it when hes hungry). Well Yesterday I saw people say feed him 2-3 times a day, as much as he can eat. Feeling bad for underfeeding him, I followed these 'experts' advice. Well today, he was not interested in eating. He just sorta chilled on his basking spot, stomach really big, and this was AFTER two bowel movements, which were huge btw. I could tell something was wrong so I kept an eye out on him, he had me worried! About 30 mins ago he regurgitated a rather big blob(the size of a large cricket) of food. Now hes active, cheerful, and running all around me.

I was keeping his basking spot at 97-104 degrees. I figured this was his optimum temp because he gapes for a few short moments to regulate his temperature or he would move to a cooler spot. Should I just keep him on his regular routine. Hes grown about 2 and a half inches in the past month, so his diet seems to have worked. He would also eat collard greens and celery as well on those days with calcium dusted over them.

I gut loaded the crickets (as I always have) with potatoes, apples and small ammounts of calcium.

Thanks for your time and ANY advice would be greatly appreciated

-Brandon

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
Something is seriously wrong with your beraded as reptiles do not typically regurgitate their food, but when they do, it means something is very wrong. Please take it to an experienced herp vet as soon as possible.

Here is a good article for you to read about reptile regurgitating: http://www.anapsid.org/vomiting.html

My bearded dragon Echo will sometimes regurgitate a cricket if he didn't chew it enough and then he eats it again. I've never had him actually regurgitate it into his tank. I would definitely recommend the vet idea as well. p.s. i love the skyrim reference. Dovakiin :p

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
where did you get him from?

if it was from a petstore the first place you need to take him is the vet. a lot of times they are infested with parasites.

http://www.reptilevetsnearyou.com/m...89B8E3AFE701&gclid=CPbo-K7yvq8CFUGo4Aod6Bb_yA
http://www.inyourarea.net/local2/22612/?gclid=CPyy1K_yvq8CFUPf4AodYHlezQ
http://www.herpvetconnection.com/

the 10 gallon will need to be upgraded to a 40 breeder (36x16x18) soon. keep an eye on on sites like craigslist for cheap tanks being sold (sometimes you can get a bigger tank fairly cheap). downloading a notification app if you have a smart phone will allow you to get to it as soon as it is posted, that's how i got my second one for free (yes, i said free).

also, try reducing the amount you feed him. he might just be overeating, some babies just don't know when to stop eating. if he is still hungry he will go for the veggies you have in there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom