T-Rex MVB discontinued

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loganator

Juvie Member
I have always used MVB's and prefer them over fluorescent UVB bulbs. Our beardies just do so much better under them. My favorite has always been the T-Rex ActiveUV. But as many of you know, there has been a rash of problems lately with the glass that many of the companies were getting from their suppliers to manufactuer these bulbs, resulting in some bad bulbs. So supply has been iffy at best.

I now find myself in need of a new bulb and I just got off the phone with Alan Botterman, President & CEO of T-Rex. He informed me that due to all the problems lately, they are discontinuing the ActiveUV MVB. And it may be some time before they have an alternative. So no luck there. I then pulled up the MegaRay website, http://www.reptileuv.com, to order one of them and found they too, are back-ordered and read the notice about all the problems they are having as well. When I phoned them, they told me they do not have an estimated date when bulbs will be available again.

So...does anyone have any suggestions for other good MVB's? I got a bad PowerSun a few years ago that almost killed my beardie, so I am gun-shy of PowerSuns. I have never tried Solar Glo's MVB. Does anyone know anything about those?

I really want to continue using MVB's, my Izzy just doesn't do as well under the Reptisun 10.0 tube. But with T-Rex and MegaRay out of the picture and my bad experience with PowerSun, what other one should I try?

Looking forward to input from other loyal MVB users!!

Thanks, Deb

Loganator

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hellooo.....

I would love to hear from some other T-Rex ActiveUV or MegaRay MVB users! What will you use when it's time to replace now that these bulbs are unavailable?

Thanks, Deb

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Hi Deb,
Due to my cage setups I personally dont use MVB bulbs. They just run to hot for my system.
I know of several people that have been using the powersun with no problems. If I couldnt get a megaray that would be my goto bulb.

The solarglo by exoterra just isnt there yet and it blows out real easy.

Loganator

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yeah, I've heard that about the SolarGlo too, that they burn out quickly. I'm just so afraid to use a PowerSun after my one bad experience with a faulty one. So you haven't heard of any recent problems with the PowerSun? Maybe I'll give that one a try again.

What about the Flucker's SunSpot MVB? Have you heard anything about that one?

Deb

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
I have heard that the Solar Glo is testing really bad, and gives off little to no UVB... Cheryl @ Rio Reptiles has tested the Powersun and she has shown it to have very good UVB ratings, and it was recommended by her for the baby I bought from her..

I am using the Powersun MVB 160 and have had no issues with it at all... My baby is healthy, eating like a pig, basking, no eye problems... etc....

I DO NOT recommend the Solar Glo. I was trying to find the post on here where Cheryl gave the UVB readings for the Powersun, but I can't find it as of right now...

I will keep looking and try to post the link. So, if sticking with a MVB, I recommend the Powersun highly.

EDIT:
Report this postReply with quote Re: Unfortunate News regarding Solar Glo MVB
by BeardedDragonCo » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:38 pm

FYI, a friend of mine told me that their parents took their dragon to the vet which was diagnosed with calcium deficiency due to using a Solar Glo for the past 8 months. She has never eaten well and is stunted, now has to be hand fed and put on liquid calcium. The vet (thankfully) recommended a Reptisun 10 for therapy. Hopefully she will recover and put the word out that those bulbs are junk.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Here is what I found:

Re: Unfortunate News regarding Solar Glo MVB
by BeardedDragonCo » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:02 am

Hi Tracie,

I got a chance to meter a month or two old Solar Glo and it did have lower levels of UVB, similar to the levels emitted from a Reptisun 10. The range was 30 to 40 on the Solartech meter at a 10 to 12 inch distance with an index of 2.3. At the same time, I metered a Powersun 100w that was the same operating age and its output was double that of the Solar Glo. The Powersun metered between 60 and 70 with an index of 5.

I am under the assumption that the Solar Glo has improved some what, but most likely only has a usable life of about 6 months like a fluorescent. I hope to meter it again in a couple months to see if I'm right. The person using it is not depending on it as the only uvb source and has a Reptisun 10 in the cage as well. The Solar Glo is very bright and makes an excellent basking bulb, but I would not count on it for sufficient UVB. It just goes to say, you get what you pay for.

Loganator

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the info. I guess I will try the PowerSun again and hope that my previous bad experience with it was an isolated event.

Deb

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Loganator":g1jvxqbu said:
Thanks for the info. I guess I will try the PowerSun again and hope that my previous bad experience with it was an isolated event.

Deb

I would order it from Cheryl at www.beardeddragon.co I'm not sure if the website is back up, but you can email her the order and she will invoice you... She is very good to work with.

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
the megaray are known not to give high basking temps for desert animals. Mine only got 90-95 depending upon house temps. So you might need a separate heat bulb.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
ziggy23":3e7nqrc5 said:
the megaray are known not to give high basking temps for desert animals. Mine only got 90-95 depending upon house temps. So you might need a separate heat bulb.

Same here.. and it burnt out after 2 months... and I could never get a hold of them again. So I am out $54.00 Sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom