outdoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

bccrt5

Hatchling Member
So I am giving some serious thought to making an outddor enclosure for my bearies and water dragons to play in in the summer months. I want to make it a permanent fixture in my garden just off the back of my house. Fully enclosed to keep out predators and whatnot. I am really excited about this project just trying to figure out where to start.....lol.. anyone have any ideas

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Here is my outdoor enclosure. I actually found it at a petstore last year... someone made it for their rabbit.It was only $10.. I couldn't pass it up :D
As you can see, it would be very easy to build one yourself. It is made with chicken wire and the top is a wood frame with wire that just lifts off. The floor is just plywood.

IMG_6016.jpg

IMG_6019.jpg

Just so you know.... at one end of the enclosure I lay a towel over the top of the cage to shade it(coolside). I had removed it for the pic. Your beardie must be able to get out of the direct sun if out for any length of time.

babababy

Aww what a lovely idea for your beardie to be outside in the summer, love it!

It may something I will think of doing if the sun comes out a bit more! :)

Rokka

Was thinking of using a corner of my screened in porch for an outside enclosure ? I would only have to build one wall,the diagonal and put a door in it. The question I have is will regular household screening hold up ? I'm worried she might rub herself raw on chicken wire ?

Thanks.....

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
You might think this is stupid, but I use a collapsible childs playpen for outdoor beardy adventures. $40 or less from big box stores, and its rather large....safe, and when not in use folds down into nothing. Here is something similar - http://tinyurl.com/3vm59p7
Most of them have a slippery padded band along the top, and this prevents a beardy from climbing all the way out. My large male (24") did manage to escape once, but its because he launched himself like a rocket over the top of it when he caught a glimpse of my female...but otherwise, none of them have ever managed to escape, and it wouldn't be hard to come up with some type of cover.

Jess

Extreme Poster
@Dawn: That's awesome! Do you even have a problem with wild buggies venturing into the enclosure? That would be the only thing I'd be paranoid about, LOL.

I have an 8 ft. rabbit hutch in my backyard that I no longer use, too bad it's in the shade.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Jess... the bugs don't really seem to be much of a problem. Every once in a while I'll see a fly or a flippin' bug(not sure their real name, this is what we call them because they flip all over the place, LOL). So far though, no bees or bad buggies.

BadCon":aoxl9sn1 said:
My large male (24") did manage to escape once, but its because he launched himself like a rocket over the top of it when he caught a glimpse of my female.
HeHe... I bet that was something to see, LOL

beardieluv

Sub-Adult Member
@Dawn, do you just leave them out there, or do you stay outside with them at all times while they are in the cage?

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
beardieluv":wt9xbrvz said:
@Dawn, do you just leave them out there, or do you stay outside with them at all times while they are in the cage?
Most of the time I am outside doing yardwork or something while they are in the enclosure. There are times though that I put them out there and just check on them periodically. I can be a worrisome mommy... so I do like to keep an eye on them.. just in case. :wink:

MAK

Hatchling Member
Thats awesome. I would like to build something like that for mine. Right now I take mine outside to play in the garden. But I have to put the leash on it and keep a close eye on it to make sure it doesnt get tangled up on any plants.

Rokka

Ok took advantage of some nice weather to build a corner enclosure for Miss Piggy on our back porch. Used the corner of the porch as a starting point, it is roughly 6' wide at the front. PVC piping as a frame for the front with patio screen attached to it with fishing wire. { 10 pound test knitted through to the pvc } Old plastic window blinds as a buffer between her and the screen on the lower outer sides so she doesn't rub on the screen. The floor boards are old fencing pieces i had lying around, with tile cut to cover the wood { tile not installed in the picture } The front of the enclosure is lift-able to allow access to the whole cage, it is open topped atm . So far so good she hasn't climbed the screen as of yet, but she isn't left out by herself as I or my wife are usually watching her......

porchenclosure.jpg

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Wow! How inventive is that! What a wonderful outdoor setup. I'm sure your beardie absolutely loves it. :D
Thanks for sharing it with us.

Rokka

So far so good she hasn't tried to climb the screens. I usually put her out in the morning then tend to my potted plants. Today while i was misting some of my plants I figured what the heck......misted Miss Piggy too. She walked up to where i was and went head first into the mist. It was too funny, she closed her eyes and just stood there. It was about 85 out and the water coming out of the hose was warm so i wasn't worried about her cooling off too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom