Want Another Dragon - Male or Female

Status
Not open for further replies.

DudleyDragon

Hatchling Member
Thinking about getting another dragon :? Not committed, just THINKING. But...if I were to get another, I'm not sure if it would be best to get a male or a female. I have a male now...and I kind of want another male just because they tend to get larger. Obviously I wouldn't put the new one in the cage with my current, but what if I wanted to let them run around on the floor together, would two males fight? Like I said, I wouldn't put them in the same cage I'm just thinking about if I were to have them out at the same time.

Thanks!

Gail

BD.org Addict
Yes, 2 males would fight on the floor and a male/female would mate. Its best not to ever let your males roam with other dragons regardless of gender.

Things to think about when choosing another dragon. Two males in the same house can cause hormonal flare ups in the breeding season but depending on how you look at it, it can be entertaining.

A female can cause your male to go bonkers in the spring but it won't last forever. Always a chance of infertile eggs, just being around a male can cause a female to produce eggs.

isabelleandpaul

Juvie Member
I had a female, and got a male in the summer (a baby). They are never out together, but when they get to see each other we get to see the typical behaviour from both (head bobbing, waving, etc) and I find that very entertaining (and good reason for not leaving them out together)! We'll see if she lays eggs in the spring, but they will be infertile, we're making very sure of that.

I would not leave a male and female out together.

ATLBeardedDragons

Juvie Member
If they are inder a year old and more than a 3'' difference in size... I would NOT House them together. As far as sexual maturity and behavior goes, it could stress eachother out....

Males-to-Males WILL Combat. I have had males raised as hatclings and was able to house them together until they were 1 year of age, but that was an UNADVISABLE RISK I took.

If you have a Male now, be cautious about introducing a female LESS THAN 350 Grams (recommended SAFE Breeding size) into the same tank.

Even if your male doesn show interest in females. THE RIGHT ONE Could Spring him into action. Trust me, it happens. I have a Male who is almost 2 years old, he has been housed with 4-6 different females in the past year and a half. And they were rotated in and out of his cage.... NOTHING AT ALL.

Then my Stella came along 600 gram FAT MAMA, and he thought it would be pleasant to breed with her in my living room. Fancy that. So be careful.

[email protected]

www.AtlantaBeardedDragons.com

sincerely,
:blob5: ABD :blob8:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom