POLL: bottom or top heat for Dubia's

Status
Not open for further replies.

sddragons

Juvie Member
I use a 60w CHE in a dome sitting on top of the screen on my 36 gallon rubbermaid totes. It stays 90+ degrees and breeding very well.

beardiebandit

Hatchling Member
i used bottom heat at 95 and they thrived and i switched to top heat and they slowed down...so back to bottom heat. but what ever works i guess! lol!

1happymommy

Juvie Member
I use bottom heat with a human heat pad. I don't know the temps but they are breeding like crazy. I actually need to give my neighbor some of my males because they are taking over. I have 3 bins now. I'm going over there right now to intro him to my roaches. He has no idea what they look like.

sddragons

Juvie Member
Original Poster
So where is everyone getting the heating pads that stay on 24/7 and don't have an automatic shutoff?

patrickb

Juvie Member
Bottom with a heatpad, around 92 degrees most of the time.

As for source, I have heard you can find them on Amazon. They also can be bought at Walgreens too supposedly. The one I use is one I have had for a number of years.

gregorydragon

Juvie Member
mrjayd":15698 said:
So where is everyone getting the heating pads that stay on 24/7 and don't have an automatic shutoff?
Bottom heat with a heating pad and I heard that Walgreen's has a heating pad without auto-shutoff. Appartently these are hard to find now.

Ihaggerty1313

Juvie Member
Remember... Heat rises. You want you heat to rise thru your colony. Unlike reptiles and other animals Roaches don't need sunlight and though a CHE helps it won't thoroughly heat your colony to the temps that you need it.

-Ian

sddragons

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well I use my temp gun and it is in the 90's all the way to the bottom of the tub and they are breeding like crazy so it must be working.

Ihaggerty1313":e206c said:
Remember... Heat rises. You want you heat to rise thru your colony. Unlike reptiles and other animals Roaches don't need sunlight and though a CHE helps it won't thoroughly heat your colony to the temps that you need it.

-Ian

diggerdrake

Juvie Member
human heat pad under the tote (from walgreens) temp at 91. as the heat rises it dissipates and provides a cool place in the hide area. if the temp is too much they usually go under the water crystal and food dishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom