Horn Worms - BECAREFUL

Status
Not open for further replies.

HowlinGaleDragon

Sub-Adult Member
Retired Moderator
I know some people will ignore this but I think it needs to be put out there

Horn worms can be TOXIC and not by just eating tomatoe plants

Horn worm food has been going bad during shipment even if the food is bad the worms will still eat it; problem being the worms then become toxic due to extreme bacteria levels and can make your dragon very sick or kill it!

Sadly two of my friends dragons both fat and healthy died this week due to this so please please please becareful I think it would be best if you are dealing with temps above 80 to avoid horn worms and use supers crickets or silks untill it cools off.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Thanks, I didn't know that this was happening. However, our current two don't like them well enough for me to buy them anymore. All they want is superworms. They will eat greens once in a while.

kimmie

Sub-Adult Member
Thanks for the info! I was doing the Hornworm thing but Angus can only eat so many and the ones I had, well too many growing too large and fast so I donated them to a petstore (4 cups of 15 each). I donated another 3 cups yesterday to a friend (along with some VERY large crickets).

I probably won't be doing hornworms anymore anyhow. I have an order of silks coming (today or tomorrow) and hopefully he'll love those!

Phoenix17June2009

Gray-bearded Member
thanks for this! i was considering hornworms because my babies were not wanting to eat and someone suggested i try them but i'm in alabama and we are wayyyyy about 80 so thanks agian!!! I would be so upset if anything happened to my babies!!

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
It isn't just hornworms, silkworms can do the same thing and it doesn't have to be the food. They both can carry bacteria or get contaminated from the environment.

HowlinGaleDragon, did your friends have their dragons tested for the type of bacteria? Tell them, I am sorry to hear this. :(

invictusrules

Juvie Member
Maybe the problem is vendor specific. Last week, I received a hornworm order from Great Lakes during 90 degree Alabama weather, and they looked terrific! They ate all the food and went for more that I made from dried food I already had. Invictus has pigged out, and I've got monster worms for making moths.

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
invictusrules":1f648i60 said:
Maybe the problem is vendor specific. Last week, I received a hornworm order from Great Lakes during 90 degree Alabama weather, and they looked terrific! They ate all the food and went for more that I made from dried food I already had. Invictus has pigged out, and I've got monster worms for making moths.

The worms don't have to look sick to be sick. Even silkies can carry bad bacteria in their guts and still go through their lifecycles and turn into moths. :dontknow:

aprilstar412

Hatchling Member
lol i dont even know what horn worms are! and what food do the horn worms eat maybe we should stay away from those food too

aprilstar412

Hatchling Member
lol i dont even know what horn worms are! and what food do the horn worms eat maybe we should stay away from those food too

invictusrules

Juvie Member
The worms don't have to look sick to be sick. Even silkies can carry bad bacteria in their guts and still go through their lifecycles and turn into moths.

I think this refers to grasserie - a virus that silkies are very susceptible to. It wouldn't be transmitted through food. But if the food turns moldy or slimy or discolored, then you'd suspect either bacterial or mold contamination that could pass to a dragon. Not good.

The original recipe for commercial food included antibiotics and anti-fungal ingredients for the very reasons mentioned. I don't know what the various vendors include, but it sounds like there was either a bad batch or some missing/out-of-date ingredients.

HowlingGale - I hope your friend contacted the vendor. I can't imagine how angry they must feel, but if there's a problem, it needs to be fixed. Please tell your friend how sorry I am that they had to go through this. No one should ever have to lose their sweet scaly babies that way. :cry:

My beardie has decided he does not want greens, superworms, crickets, waxworms, phoenix worms, etc, so I am not sure what else to feed him. He just loves the horned worms! I think it is the size that grabs his attention since he is 7.5 months old and 15 inches long. The smaller worms he will lick and walk away. I am not sure what to feed him, he has lost some weight i can tell, but is still 431 grams.

Thank you for your advice.

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
invictusrulesI think this refers to grasserie - a virus that silkies are very susceptible to. It wouldn't be transmitted through food. But if the food turns moldy or slimy or discolored said:
Not the grasserie virus. Silkies can carry bacteria and still act healthy. I doubt there is enough antibiotics in the food to kill the bacteria. Heck, when I was selling silkies I had every reptile vet in my area wanting to do cultures of them. I chose a vet that had info on the types of bacteria silkies can carry in their guts. I quit raising silkies when I found out that they are not as healthy as people want to believe.

Ric

Hatchling Member
The more I've been reading about keeping different feeders it seems that you have to be very careful about giving them clean food. If it gets soggy you need to remove it immediately due to them eating it and passing on the bacteria to your pet. I wouldn't blanket hornworms like that. You even say that it's because of rotten food. So it's not the hornworm directly but rather the food fed to it or any other feeder.

I'm now keeping Dubia and keeping fresh food is a must for that very reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom