Ord's viv + stand design and build

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been playing with ideas for a new viv for our 12" beardie. I decided to go with a basic crossfire build for the viv itself with a custom hood and stand. I chose to use 3/4 sanded oak plywood for the viv and the outside of the stand and the hood. the frame of the stand is gonna be cheap 2x4's . The stand is sized to house my dubia roach colony bin and my feeder roach bin along with necessary heat tape and thermostat controls. The hood cage and stand are all separate pieces for easier moving and transport if/when we move. The front of the cage will have sliding glass doors but will also slide into place and lock so that it can be removed for easier cleaning of the inside (not shown in any drawings or models). I started off drawing it up on paper

Vivarium
IMG_20130909_222700.jpg

Hood
IMG_20130909_222710.jpg

stand
IMG_20130909_222723.jpg

base
IMG_20130909_222734.jpg

Then since i didn't have the money yet I learned a little about using http://www.sketchup.com/ and created a 3D model. I was able to fine tune my measurements and fix a few math errors and add a few new ideas here. This part though a little frustrating was very very fun. I am a bit of a geek. If anyone has sketchup and would like to look at it here is a link to it https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8hsiawm4qf4d60l/_GKn3MrrlO
Or if you have a cad program there is a .dxf file. it is not as good since the export from sketchup isn't quite 100% but if you look at it as a wire frame its better. I used this to load a copy onto my Nexus 7 tablet and show it off at work.

vivarium+complete.jpg

I finally was able to start it today. Here are some more pics

pile of wood
IMG_20130914_132005.jpg

my little helper showing off the size of a crossfire build.
IMG_20130914_193737.jpg

So far i am $200 into wood and supplies. That includes
8 - 2x4x8
2 - 4x8x3/4 sanded oak plywood
box of screws
stain and some supplies
tube of liquid nails (not sure if I'm actually gonna use it or not)
Misc brackets and fasteners for the 2x4 frame
I have also spent about $50 on some lights and fixtures. Using an 18" uvb directly above the basking spot with 1 flood light with a spot light on the basking spot (both on a timer) and 1 flood light with a ceramic element over the cool side to help maintain temperature connected to a thermostat. Plugs, timer, thermostat and thermometers will be on top of cage hidden by the hood. I tried to plan this to be a piece of furniture as well as a home for Ord since it will be in our home for many years.

rempop

That looks great. For the track for the glass my husband used the table saw to cut the channel. And since I wanted to ensure that it slid easy I used sandpaper to smooth it a bit.

gunkleneil

Original Poster
got to work on it for a few hours today. Heres some more pics
got most of the hood together just need some hinges and a handle for the front door on it
IMG_20130922_165016.jpg

IMG_20130922_165033.jpg

IMG_20130922_165025.jpg

started the stand frame
IMG_20130922_181833.jpg

CliffsMom

Quick question for you: how thick is the wood that you used? I am building a 36x18x18 for my lovely beardie - it's not as big as yours, but a good size for him (he is undersized due to small liver and kidneys). I am looking to build my own and am not terribly handy.

Yours is absolutely stunning by the way :)

Thanks,
Catherine and Lil Clifford

gunkleneil

Original Poster
OK I'm a geek (according to my wife at least) I took my 3d image from Sketchup and made individual parts breakdowns with dimensions after I made a bit of an oopsy with cutting the top and sides of the hood to short. was able to "hide/fix" most of the mistakes. I cut new sides and used the short ones for the back which left an opening which I will claim is for the electrical to plug into the wall. :wink: and the piece I had to glue onto the back of the top of the hood is only about 3/4" wide and not too noticeable since it on the top of a 6' high piece. Since I have shared everything else I will share these breakdowns as well. Still haven't settled on just what I'm gonna do with the front door. Not sure if i'm gonna stay with what is in the drawing I made or change it to 2 wood framed glass doors that latch together. Would also like to hear any suggestions for the legs. the 2x4's are gonna be temporary till I find something that looks nicer. the back two are offset to account for the radiator along the wall I plan to put this against.

cage itself. basic Crossfire build
viv+measurements.jpg

Hood. planning to use hidden hinges on door like the ones used on a cabinet. may not use a handle or nob to make it not look like it has a door.
hood+measurements.jpg

Stand frame. (maybe overkill with all 2x4's but wanted to be safe with this beast of a cage)
stand+dimensions.jpg

Stand finishing pieces. also 3/4" sanded plywood stained.
stand+finishes+dimensions.jpg

gunkleneil

Original Poster
This is the flood light fixture I picked up. $10.97
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia...-OFTH-300PR-120-WH-M12/100652905#.UkDpY4brzww
I liked it because it was cheap :D , and the wires were seperate for each bulb. Also both fixtures are adjustable so I can angle it to the spot I want it to hit.

I ordered this t-8 fixture $15.97
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HJ75PW/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For my repti-sun 10.0 18" bulb $20.78 from Pet Mountain
http://www.petmountain.com/show_product/11442-504983

gunkleneil

Original Poster
Got the stand frame finished. Decided to make the front doors (going with cabinet style hidden hinges) on the cage itself recessed so I modified the size a hair. Now I need to build the front doors so I can get this beast stained. Then I can worry about finishing off the stand. Need more plywood for that. This shows the finished height

IMG_20130924_185540.jpg

IMG_20130924_185556.jpg

gunkleneil

Original Poster
got the first coat of stain on the cage and the hood. Still haven't built the door yet. Hopefully tomorrow.

Went with a very light stain. I like how it brings out the grain
IMG_20130927_190338.jpg

IMG_20130925_185058.jpg

comparison to an unstained piece.
IMG_20130925_185051.jpg

gunkleneil

Original Poster
So I got the lights and the doors mounted. Thermostat, and thermometers installed and a first run to check and adjust temps. So far so good.
20131019_175022.jpg

20131019_174930.jpg

20131019_174947.jpg

At first I thought the doors would be ugly but I'm kinda liking it now. Very minimal and not distracting from the cage. Temps are holding at 108.7 at the basking spot and 86 at the bottom of the ramp. If he needs to cool more i'm sure under the basking spot will be even cooler. gonna let it run a few days before switching him over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom