Scarlett's New Rock Platform FINISHED!! (new pics P2!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
Ok so we built Scarlett a new rock platform for the back of her viv... We used the info from Beautifuldragons however they were a little vague as far as the sealant goes.. I purchased some sealant from Lowes but I'm a little reluctant to use it b/c I don't know if it's non toxic... If we let it dry outside for several days will it be ok? Or if someone else could tell me what they used that would b great! Here are a few pics for your enjoyment :D

a2fe75a3.jpg

a039a08b.jpg

66af09ff.jpg

1be754db.jpg

Jess

Extreme Poster
Wow, that looks amazing!

Mod Podge is cheap, easy to put on, and non toxic. :) I've even put it on mine for small touch ups in Dud's viv while he is sleeping. It dries really fast, and you can let it air out for a couple days if you want.

It isn't water proof, but it will hold up to normal wiping down and cleaning. Dudley is really abusive to his poor rock structure, so it is pretty durable otherwise.

So now that I answered your question... Will you make me a sculpture like that?! LOL. I just finished Dudleys about a month ago, but I already wanna make a new one! I'm to lazy though. They take a lot of effort.

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Thanks Jess! I was thinking along the lines of the Mod Podge.. Does is dry pretty sturdy? They are a lot of hard work but thankfully my step dad is an artist and he LOVES doing stuff like this lol..

Jess

Extreme Poster
Yup, it dries pretty sturdy. But it will break if you drop it, bang it against door frames, or try to cram in into your viv if it is too big... (I would know). As long as you aren't as clumsy as I am, it should be fine LOL.
And I used Matte, so it doesn't look freakishy shiny. Here is how mine turned out:

DSC00493.jpg

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Jess4921":163r35mk said:
Yup, it dries pretty sturdy. But it will break if you drop it, bang it against door frames, or try to cram in into your viv if it is too big... (I would know). As long as you aren't as clumsy as I am, it should be fine LOL.
And I used Matte, so it doesn't look freakishy shiny. Here is how mine turned out:

DSC00493.jpg

Thanks for the advice! I have my first two coats on and it seems to be doing pretty well!

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
Be careful, some of those water proof wood glues are toxic. Unless its listed as non-toxic on the bottle, I wouldn't use it.

I personally use Mod Podge hard coat, and its pretty durable. Much more so then the Mod Podge Matte. They also have the exterior version, which doesn't dry as hard as the "hard coat", but seems more water resistant. One negative about the hard coat is it drys pretty slick. Unless there is lots of texture in the structure, it will be an ice rink for your dragons :p. I like these products as they are very safe...and cure quickly. No fumes or anything to worry about, and pretty easy to use.
There is also a product called Shields All #50 (google), which I hear is really nice. Never tried it though.

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
BadCon":3ineooyc said:
Be careful, some of those water proof wood glues are toxic. Unless its listed as non-toxic on the bottle, I wouldn't use it.

I personally use Mod Podge hard coat, and its pretty durable. Much more so then the Mod Podge Matte. They also have the exterior version, which doesn't dry as hard as the "hard coat", but seems more water resistant. One negative about the hard coat is it drys pretty slick. Unless there is lots of texture in the structure, it will be an ice rink for your dragons :p. I like these products as they are very safe...and cure quickly. No fumes or anything to worry about, and pretty easy to use.
There is also a product called Shields All #50 (google), which I hear is really nice. Never tried it though.

Thanks for the advice! I went ahead and picked up the Elmer's Wood Glue which is non toxic and water proof... I'm pretty pleased with the results..

Jess

Extreme Poster
So do you just paint on the Wood Glue like you would with Mod Podge? I think I need to make a new structure soon cause I messed up the grout on mine, and I would like a more water proof sealer.

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Jess4921":2rd8pjwy said:
So do you just paint on the Wood Glue like you would with Mod Podge? I think I need to make a new structure soon cause I messed up the grout on mine, and I would like a more water proof sealer.

Yep I used the Elmers Probond Wood glue.. i mixed water with it to thin it out and just used a paint brush.. You could probably also put it in a spray bottle.. It drys pretty clear for the most part but it does have a slight yellow tint to it.. Especially on the steps or the places where its a little thicker.. HOWEVER Its for interior/exterior.. It's non toxic.. waterproof.. Heat resistant.. Here is a pic of it..
glue.jpg

Jess

Extreme Poster
Thanks a ton! I think I am going to have to re-grout and re-seal my sculptures, so I'll use that instead this time!
Oh and how many coats od it did you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom