any tips on giving beardie oral medication?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CiaraAlexisOnFire

Juvie Member
i went to the vet today and got some oral medication for Dude's fungal infection. They gave me a syringe and showed me how to give it to him, but I know it's going to be a struggle.
Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks, CiaraAlexisOnFire and Dude.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Only thing I can say is "patience".
You can start by tapping his lips with the syringe with hopes that he'll lick the tip. Then slowly drip the medicine (if it's a liquid) onto his top lip until he starts to take it in.
The other option is to pull down the side of his mouth and squeeze the medicine into his mouth.

CiaraAlexisOnFire

Juvie Member
Original Poster
The vet said to stick it on the side of his mouth until he bites it (which Dude definitely did!) and squirt the medicine into his mouth. I'm afraid if I tried to make him lick it, barely any would get in his mouth :p

He's stubborn.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
The first time I had to give medicine, I also did the side squeeze method. Unfortunately, I ended up wearing half of what went into Digi's mouth (she shook her head like a puppy to get rid of the icky invasion). I finally had to succumb to the half-hour-to-administer-medicine ritual, but at least I didn't end up having more med than Digi.

Hope tomorrow will less dramatic for him.

Oh, by the way, be careful how hard Dude bites the tip of the syringe. Make sure to check the integrity of the tip after each feeding. If it looks like shards could fall off, throw it out and get another one.
Silly question (forgot to ask before): is the syringe plastic or glass?

Derobmi

Hatchling Member
I've been giving Desmond medication and critical care daily for 6 weeks now. I've gotten pretty good at it :)

I'm right-handed, so change this around if you are not. I like to sit on the floor with my right leg higher than the left and then I stand Desmond on them, so that he is fairly upright. Then, I put my hand around his head, with my thumb on the fat stores on top and my pointer finger comes around to pull down his lip. I pull down his lip and put the tip of the syringe in and then gently move it toward the front of his mouth. He usually opens his mouth as I move toward the front but if I reach the front and he hasn't, I just slowly go back and forth. Once he opens, I squirt the medicine in - I go quickly if it is just .1 or .2 mL, but if it is more, I do a little at a time to be cautious. He will move his head around once he opens his mouth, so I have to be quick to depress the plunger. I took some pictures to show my process. The last picture shows where he usually opens his mouth from moving the syringe along his lips.

Xpg2Y.jpg

o7FfO.jpg

MhdVX.jpg

CUZ7u.jpg

I just got some syringe nipples from Beautiful Dragons Rescue that have made it much, much easier to feed the critical care. But the method I described above, I've been using all this time and still am for the meds. I'm not sure about choking or aspirating - I just try not to squirt it into the back of his mouth.

Good luck!

hokie28

With Hobbes I lightly pinch his nostrils with the fleshy part of my finger tips and, with his nostrils still covered, pull his mouth open with my other hand and then just put the syringe in. The vet showed me a cool trick where you can put them in a trance by putting your fingers just in front of their eyes and then their mouth just drops open. I haven't gotten that to work yet. She mentioned that is how breeders get their dragons to pose for pictures, and that it's a cool party trick she does on her iguanas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom