Why is he posturing at inanimate objects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
I've caught Hyphen, my blood leatherback (youngest of five dragons, all separately housed) doing some very strange things in the past - and more so just lately. He lives in the top tank of three, with a 10.0 zoomed fluor bulb and temps at 81 and 97 on thermostat.

He used to have a bit of a fetish for our hearthstone before we moved house - I caught him posturing, bobbing and trying to pin "her" down. At least he had the decency to look embarrassed back then:

11%2B-%2B1

He later went on to posturing, plating and bobbing outside of Mocha's tank. Thinking it was Mocha he was interested in, I opened the door. He went charging in - past Mocha entirely, and went straight for the side of her food bowl. She was as confused as I was, as he bobbitied at and bit at the bowl.

Just lately he has issues with the doormat, and the dragon slope, which is coated in the same carpetting.
After some displaying, he sneaks up and massages at it:
12%2B-%2B1

Whispers sweet nuthin's and gives it a furtive licking, tail flicking:
12%2B-%2B1

A gentle nibble:
12%2B-%2B1

And then goes for the full on grab and shake:
12%2B-%2B1

Just as if he was a normal male chatting up and trying to mount one of the ladies.

The actual ladies here don't think much to him on the very rare occasion I let them have a look at each other - Sandy and Jam are big enough to either sit on him or run away before he gets close, and Mocha (whom is smaller in size due to nutritional growth stunting) won't take any of his nonsense either and sees him off with a big beard and a couple of scary-looking tail lunges.

It isn't even that he's trying to eat it. He's well fed and a little bit of a fatty - but it's kind of inconvenient, because it would be nice if he could use the dragon slope to run in and out like the rest can - but I can live with it.

Besides this odd thing with various inanimate objects, he's normally a happy go lucky little guy whom loves little more than sunbathing on "his" cushion and isn't worried about his slightly low IQ compared to the others.

Should I be concerned, or is he just my little weirdo?

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I had some carpet left over, so I quickly traced a template, trimmed, sanded the edges for loose bits...
He's not sure about "her", though he's been stomping, bobbing and doing little charges.

Perhaps she's a bit shallow? Somewhat of a two dimensional character? *giggles*
12%2B-%2B1

He still lost the fight. Silly dragon.

StaceysBuddy

Juvie Member
I can't help at all.
But those pictures are really cute, and the story is great! Haha.

But yeah.. Hopefully someone will get back to you. :|

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
omg, those pictures and descriptions... this made my day. lol

i haven't heard or seen any of that. just them attacking objects that look threatening, not 'courting' them.

how old is he? maybe this is a "horny teenager" stage?

XtinaLotusMonster":3j1vsw6g said:
NoxnGeorgieT":3j1vsw6g said:
Maybe you could order him a lady friend with a bit more substance. Check out http://weirdbuglady.deviantart.com/art/bearded-dragon-3-84596908. It could be like that movie Lars and the Real Girl, except with beardies. :)

Ah I've wanted one of these for soooo long!:

Yeah, me too. I can't justify the price, though, since I do already have the real thing at home. Plus I think George would be mad if I got one. He's cranky enough about having to share the bedroom with the cat. :)

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Bless him, Hyph's always been a little bit odd and a lotta bit less than genius.
He had another go at my mat today - I'll load a video on to youtube later to show you - and at the moment, he's busy bobbing and grabbing his carpet-lizard in his tank.

Carpet-lizard confuses him, because he flares, stamps, bobs and she doesn't do anything. He pins her down and grabs her - but she feels all wrong on his tongue, making him let go and go "bleh. Bleh yick blergh."

StaceysBuddy

Juvie Member
Haha poor beardie, trying to put the moves on her and getting rejected. I can't wait to see the video if you do post one.

Buddy started for the first time doing the nuzzling thing.. To His Hammock. Only did it for like a minute, till I walked over. I have no other beardies and this is his first year. Oh boy, I hope the hammock is ready! haha

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
If you're a G+ member, you'll be able to see it. I can't work out why my phone is being odd and not loading to Youtube. If you're not a G+ member and you can still see it, that's great - let me know :D

https://plus.google.com/111911822338446258920/posts/Ha52ohP2cFx

Oy. I've just let Hyphen back out of his tank for his turn of running around - and every time since he's discovered the mat, he makes the looooong jog down to the back door and gives "her" grief. He's laying in to it as I type, lunging and tail whipping. Every few seconds, there's a "FWACK" sound as he darts at it again, or a "thwip" noise as he "baits" it with his tail.

He has a MAJOR malfunction when it comes to that thing - and has just brained himself on the chair leg. Genius. :roll: The carpet lizard appears to be working as, on several occasions now, I've seen him bobbiting and biting at it too. None of the other lizards have a problem with the carpetting; in fact Sandy has realised it's a bit warmer on your belly to sit on than the laminate floor.

Good luck with your wee man Stacey'sBuddy - if he's anything like my little prat you're in for a good laugh.

Thanks for the link NoxnGeorgie - those are supercute. I'm quite seriously tempted when I've saved up a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sage_1207
Top Bottom