Warning: On hand feeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

omg87

Hand feeding is an awesome way to bond with your dragon, but as I found out today, too much of a good thing is actually kind of funny/bad.

Every time I dump crickets in the tank, I start off with hand feeding my beardie 3-5 crickets - dumping the rest. For about a month, this was working and today he jumped on my hand to get out of the tank. The problem? He thinks my finger is edible. The bite doesn't hurt at all and it feels like someone gave it a light flick, but still. Avoid hand feeding too much!

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
i would let the cricket sit on my hand and he would grab it that way.
but i learned early on not to hold anything he finds tasty between my fingers. it was fine when he was a baby, but now his mouth is much much bigger...

omg87

Original Poster
So now that I've gone and messed that up, how do I teach him that my finger isn't food??

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
let him bite it. if you are brave enough. muahahaha.

or you can try putting your finger to his nose, then flattening your entire hand in front of him and flipping it around to show the back and palm. let him see there is no food. when he licks your finger it should register that it's not food.

but if you start using tweezers to feed he should start to associate that with food and bite those instead of your finger.

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
We had the same problem with Hyphen and Jam for a while - Jam gets VERY excitable about food. And just as Bunny recommended, I showed them there was no food, just my hand - then used tongs to serve up the canned dinners. With time and practise, I can now safely hand feed without problems - treats I serve with fingers, and if I get nipped, the treat goes away.

They soon learn pinpoint perfect accuracy! :D
(Sandy can flip a waxworm out of my finger and thumb without so much as brushing them - she's a really good shot.)

thebenior

Hatchling Member
I would use tongs for feeding insects to adult dragons. My dragon bit my finger when feeding him fruit when he was less than a year old, which didn't hurt.

He bit my finger while a year and a half old while I fed him a cricket; I guess he tasted cricket, so he kept biting. He opened up the bottom of my finger, resulting in bleeding lacerations and tooth bruises on my finger tip and a bruise underneath the fingernail.

After that, I got feeding tongs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom