behavior, need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeEuGi

Hey guys, im new here, but not new to reptiles and forums...

i currently have:
1.0 bearded dragon
2.2 royal python
0.0.2 cali king
1.0 RTB
1.0 amel corn

yes i know this is mainly bearded dragon site, i just like to let everyone know what i have....

any way, i have had my bearded dragon for a little under a year, i got him last ... August. He is about 12'' from head to tail.

he is eating crickets daily and greens... he eats and poops just fine, my thing is... he hates me...

i can not get close to him to pick him up, cant do anything with out being hissed at, lunged at, or tried to bite... when i do get him picked up he sits with his mouth open hissing at me.

i read some articals, and some people told me they act like this till they are about 2-3 yrs old, i just dont belive that for some reason...

temps are 105 backing, 80 cool he is in a 4x2x2 cage i built with crappy reptile carpet. any way any help/tips would be awesome to help "tame" him down!!!

thanks again guys!

i should also say, this is my 1st beareded dragon, and im really new to them... from my collection you can see im more of a snake guy.

dylanravenj

Sub-Adult Member
Try taking him out while he's sleeping and allow him to sleep on your chest. You can also try putting an article of your clothing in his viv so he can become more comfortable with your scent

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
Ah, this is really common - you're at the beardie rebellion stage.
Put a dirty tshirt of yours in his vivarium and get some garden gloves and treats. Persist. DON'T let him tell you HE'S boss - you tell him YOU are boss. Talk calmly, kindly, firmly at all times and KEEP AT IT.

Most beardies get over this stage after a couple of weeks :) I've had to retrain some rather aggressive beardies, it's hard to do, but you CAN do it.

prone2

Had the same problem with a huge GG we rescued, she would bite and it would HURT! Herp vet tought me a trick that took the fight out of her. Use a straw from a fast food drink, and every time he opens his mouth to bite put the straw length wise in his mouth and let him bite it. They give up on wanting to do that right a way! Took 2 days of this and she has never tried to bite again, infact she doesn't even open her mouth and hiss anymore. Not saying she loves us yet, but we are working on it.

DeEuGi

Original Poster
thanks guuys, i will put a shirt in his cage, and see how that goes, i already have gloves i use with him...

what treats are good? ... or i should say, what should i use as treats?

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
Anything they like to eat :)
Waxworms are like sweeties - very fatty, so I try to limit my gang to three or four a day each if I'm using as rewards.

The straw trick is a good one - I used dandelion leaves with Kyle when she first acted out - got her eating her greens too that did! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sage_1207
Top Bottom