Sidney : I haven't posted in forever.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. I'm starting a new thread for my new dragon and will do a memorial thread for my beloved Zilla, who was my first dragon.

We've had Sid for 5 days now, and wow! I can't believe how different of a dragon he his compared to Zilla! I still consider myself new to beardies since I'd never really even heard of them before around two years ago.

We are still in a learning process with Sid to try and figure out his likes and dislikes with foods and temperature etc. The woman I got him from had a toddler and a three week old baby, and wasn't spending the time with him that she wanted to. She didn't give me a whole lot of info except he loved roaches and didn't eat greens like she thought he should. That he was an every other day pooper and usually only on the left side of his tank. Not even positive what his basking temp was because the end of the thermometer hung down halfway in the back of the tank.

But so far so good with him! He ate a roach the first day and three superworms, but then threw up the next day. A piece of carrot either didn't agree with him, or I hadn't gotten his basking high enough. The next day he didn't eat, but I lowered his light and he eventually started gaping. Yesterday I coaxed him into 10 worms, and today he ate 25! That was WAY more than I intended to feed him, but honestly, it had been SO long since I had seen a healthy beardie eat! He even washed it down with some water dripped onto his nose. I snuggled with him a bunch after that, but new he had to bask so didn't keep him out to long. He promptly black bearded and glass danced to come out, so I took him out. Then he crawled up my shoulder and head and hung out and dozed. I put him back after awhile and he basked.

Here's some pix!!

First day!
25F98CB6-FA51-4E69-B636-38C809A1EDAC_zps3i192m2k.jpg

First day neck snuggles with daddy
A3FFCF45-56A6-4523-81BB-D965563DA110_zps6r3ppywd.jpg

Yesterday, checking out Mt. Shoepile
85263446d89d3db076fcf30f82c24db4_zps50ce7306.jpg

On the couch with his mouth open
fab813f43deb80c21ab5426ffe8daaa3_zpsee38fe48.jpg

Black bearding the back of the couch with his mouth open
19c21b376945e53ea1f5ff75051b040f_zps34a65b50.jpg

Today, very happy to be out of his tank
f9ee190aa6f84038d6c8e561dbe9d219_zpse8e6f6ea.jpg

Black beard fading since he's out of his tank
ef604e899477df898e5e0dadc3a90e01_zps81c41b74.jpg

How we snuggled for awhile after he ate 25 worms
bee88ee49a8e167d6af728568eb93e1c_zpsfc7dd461.jpg

He always touches my cheek or sticks his nose in my ear when he's on my shoulder
0a182261a4867b3f4ae947fcbfcade76_zpsb71a7044.jpg

He was very lazy/sleepy today
5f7075e1712dc042dce0705603a44511_zpsc56b1f67.jpg

Look at that black beard after I put him back to bask!!
9f7c5a441c6fcfd3a18d28e00888ab87_zpse84b2c38.jpg

I have NEVER seen a beard so black!! And look at that one spike. Pretty sure it's shedding.
d48c37dbd889c98d24a08b34a0227d1b_zpsbf6963b8.jpg

But he's a very pretty color! And I think he's got blue eyes!
3effee928e05add421afed88295586e9_zpsbf783c2f.jpg

Heisenberg

Hatchling Member
Oh my that is a black beard, don't be shy Sid tell us how you really feel LOL He has such beautiful vivid colors. Isn't it great that he's such a snuggle bug. I may have missed it but how old is he? How much does he weigh he looks like a big boy? He seems to like the gator that zilla didn't care for. I'm glad that you have a new baby to love. Can't wait to learn more about him :)

BrendaKay

Juvie Member
Original Poster
He is around 2 years old and weighs 637g. I haven't measured him yet, but will do soon. He looks SO much bigger and beefier than Zilla but perhaps because Zilla was down to 530g when he passed.

Still weaning him off of being so warm at night. I don't think he's had a good night sleep in awhile. His past owner kept a red light on and kept it warm at night. I have it now down to 80, and by next weekend hope to have it down to about 70 at night.

It's gonna kill me going to work tomorrow, but will come home to lunch to check on him. Yes, hopefully he'll be happy with the alligator and won't be lonely while I'm gone.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Great pics of Sid, especially the super duper black beard.
Loved the snuggling pics. Pookie used to snuggle against my face/neck when he was younger.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
All the beardies we've had prefer shoulder. Rosie is the same way except for spring. She sleeps a lot in the winter, depending on how cold it happens to be in our area, then when she wakes up for good she will have a black beard and glass dance to be let out of her home to sit in the window, only to glass dance on the window to have it opened, then comes the screen. She's gotten one screen in our bedroom to need replacing. I've informed my other half that he can't open the window when she's that way because she wants outside and if she breaks the window screen, eventually she and her sister, Lil Squirt, will fall out the window and it's a long fall from that window to the ground outside.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Wow, he has spectacular colours 8) And that black beard, he really does prefer to be OUT than IN, you can tell. Yes, I don't have any heat on in their tanks at night but I leave the living room at 73F for the geckos, so the beardies tanks must be about the same. they all sleep really well that way. Nothing bothers them or wakes them up.

I'm so glad you got yourselves a healthy beardie, it's a lot different. I'll be looking for the memorial for Zilla when you can post it. It took me awhile to post Titan's.

I'll be looking forward to more pics!

BrendaKay

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Received my order from beardeddragon.co this morning at work, so went right home to give him a dose of Panacur. What a MESS that turned into. I'm such a spazz. I thought the stuff was supposed to taste good...... most of it dribbled out all over my finger before he decided to start lapping it up. So i gave him a bit more. Great. No idea how much got in him. And boy did he struggle with me and black bearded me! It was funny! It was like he was saying, "What the HECK are you doing, lady!" LOL but then he brightened back up when I put him in his tank. And he promptly pooped that was mostly urate. Slightly alarming because of all the worms he'd eaten the day before. Thought they woulda come out by now.

I lowered his light because I'm not sure he's warm enough in his basking spot. I took his branch that he came with out of his tank, because I didn't want a screen on top and knew he'd be able to jump out if he wanted. So he's lower and I thought the temp read around 94, but I ordered a different thermometer that came with the order. It's reading like 85. But i don't know if I'm using it right, the directions were very vague. This is what I got:

http://www.beardeddragon.co/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=thermometer&product_id=65

I held it a few inches from his back and clicked the button. Is that right? Anybody else use one of those?

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Wow what a handsome "son" you have. I love his coloring, reminds me of my Emily. I have never seen a beard so black before, Its almost a midnight black. The snuggle pictures are so cute to.

BrendaKay

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Tonja":ns5p1aa1 said:
Wow what a handsome "son" you have. I love his coloring, reminds me of my Emily. I have never seen a beard so black before, Its almost a midnight black. The snuggle pictures are so cute to.

I know! I thought he looked like Emily when I was enjoying your outside pix recently.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
So for the temp gun, you have to put it against the basking spot & click, that's what needs to be measured. So move Sid & then put the gun against where he's been. Then tell me what the temp is, should be between 100-102F but can be as low as 95F, but I'd go with the higher temp because he's on antibiotics. And remember to give him his med 1st thing in the am when he gets up, then in the afternoon give him probiotics. If you give them together the Panacur will kill the good bacteria in the probiotics.

I'm glad he's starting to feel like one of the family. And as for digesting the bugs, usually 2-3 days before you see the poop. And check that everything is digested, if you see bits of the tail or skin, that's ok.

He's such a beautiful colour, too!

BrendaKay

Juvie Member
Original Poster
sweetiepie9":15coj98u said:
So for the temp gun, you have to put it against the basking spot & click, that's what needs to be measured. So move Sid & then put the gun against where he's been.

But there is no probe to touch the basking spot. There's like a hole. And does it matter if it's a hard basking spot, or a soft basking spot? He's only ever had a hard tree, but I'm trying to see if he likes stuffies as much as Zilla did.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
No doesn't matter, just put the end of the gun against the basking spot, hard or soft, doesn't matter. It's getting the basking spot the right temp, so he's getting the heat on him. That's how I always do it and I have one of those, but skinny.

BrendaKay

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I went home today at lunch and found him propped on a stuffie!!! heehee I think he's figuring out he likes soft things.

I think his basking spot is 95 so will bump it up a little bit. He moves away from it, then back under it from what I can tell on the camera during the day.

So he pooped again today. Yesterday and today were both very watery and not a whole lot, so I'm thinking it's the Panacur. I've never had to deal with deworming a dragon, so not familiar with any side affests? Still no big poop with all those worms, but maybe tomorrow.

This morning he promptly climbed up my hair and propped himself on top of my head. Hysterical!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom