Hige tales!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought i'd make a thread for Hige since i love taking photo's. I essentially rescued him from a family who tried their best but didn't seem to know what they were doing - he was only 295g at 18 months when i got him compared to the female in with him who they said was the same age at 455g. I quickly seperated the two and the girl now lives with a friend of mine and is also doing better. Higes now around 350g and doing well. He's being treated for parasites and his enclosure improved. He looks much healthier than before! I named him Hige since it is japanese for 'beard' (pronounced 'hee-gay').

When i got him:
tumblr_m7q22ulhYT1qdzuh1o5_r1_1280.jpg

Settling down a bit:
tumblr_m7s3d5rOEx1qdzuh1o2_1280.jpg

Happy, basking guy!:
tumblr_m83c6jMhh41qdzuh1o1_500.jpg

Unimpressed Hige begins worming:
tumblr_m8o26pIFMN1qdzuh1o1_500.jpg

Interrupted basking nap:
tumblr_m8o2abufNV1qdzuh1o1_500.jpg

Adventures to follow!

NEROtheMONSTER

Sub-Adult Member
He's cute.He already looks much healthier than when you first got him!Very handsome boy.
Could you put pics of the girl beardie?

jovamabob

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The girl was just unable to eat with him around and when he wasn't there she was still uninterested in food - she was always busy looking around no matter where i fed her. He stole all her food so i'd have expected her to be smaller and him the larger! I was only getting 2 or 3 morioworms in her per day for a week or so (They were all she'd eat). The next week she went to live with my friend, got herself a new name, Tilly, and just 3 days later she got her appetite back and ate 6 locusts, 2 morio worms and 5 crickets in 10 minutes! She's been to her vet now and is being checked out for any nasties too. She'd laid eggs before with Hige in her last home, while literally in the same viv as Hige, and they fought while she was in the process - all the last owners did was take Hige out for an hour while they removed the eggs. She's missing a claw (which looked to be recent but healing) and her tail tip - i assume Hige's doing since he was clearly dominant. They said the reason they were rehoming them was that they'd originally had another male in there but they boys had fought so were seperated. Now every time the other male was out he just wanted to attack the tank they were in - that and the kids were 'bothering them' all the time. Stress all round i think! They told me the other male has been given to a rescue the day before because he had injuries and they'd decided to just concentrate on their dogs.
The girl:
tumblr_m7yxarkvpu1qdzuh1o1_500.jpg

tumblr_m7yxarkvpu1qdzuh1o2_1280.jpg

the two of them together with the girl on the left and hige on the right (they are both much, much darker when in together):
tumblr_m7rm6vSAAY1qdzuh1o1_500.jpg

jovamabob

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So i went to check on my corn snake, Sebastian today and found he'd begun shedding. I put him into his temporary RUB while i cleaned out his viv as i always do. When i'd finished i went back to find that he's now got big and strong enough to push the lid off the top of the RUB then escaped. Naturally panic ensued and i ran round like a headless chicken trying to 'think like a snake' then i spotted the little bugger. He'd crawled along the ledge on the front of Hige's viv where the glass is attached. Poor Hige had retreated to behind his log displaying at the 'intruder' and Sebby was just having a nice bask like nothing had happened.

tumblr_m8ws68OX401ry9h3jo1_500.jpg

Safe to say, this cheeky little snake will be getting a bigger RUB!

tumblr_m8wsbf3VC11ry9h3jo1_500.jpg

jovamabob

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So Hige has begun shedding his belly, a patch on his side and his lip/chin area. Suffice to say he is not a happy boy! He only wants food when its not around and is almost permanently darkly coloured as opposed to his usual bright orange. I got him out today while i watched some TV on the laptop (He seems to like watching the movement/colours) and he was in permanent 'pancake' mode occasionally just bearding me out of the corner of his eye. I gave him a bath and then let him be a grumpy-guts in his viv, but not before i snapped this picture of him on my laptop in 'pancake' mode :D

tumblr_m8ulwnqORu1qdzuh1o1_500.jpg

Is there anything else i can do to help him shed better, faster or more comfortably? Its like shedding-city in my room at the moment - the snake is at it too! Im doing daily baths for both reptiles now, plus the occasional spray down.

NEROtheMONSTER

Sub-Adult Member
Sounds like your already doing the best you could to help him shed .
My snake escaped lots of times but unfortunately the last time he escaped he did not make it.We found him but then a few hours later he died for unknown reasons.Nero really liked to look at him and he even attempted to eat him.
Tilly is a cutie-pie :D !

jovamabob

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well we finally got the first nice day in a long time! Took Hige outside for what is most likely the first time in his life. He’s getting some natural UVB while i’m waiting for a new UVB tube lamp to be delivered. He seemed to enjoy his little self and all the new sights/sounds, but is understandably quite scared of cars.

tumblr_m9qi0zPFFV1ry9h3jo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m9qi0zPFFV1ry9h3jo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_m9qi5gBPBq1ry9h3jo1_500.jpg

jovamabob

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Made Hige a little harness make-shift outta scrap leather so we can go outside properly. He didn’t even notice it existed and was very compliant, letting me dress and undress him as i adjusted it several times and had a wander round the living room, totally oblivious. To the point where i made him a little hat and he didn’t even try to take it off.

I think he may have given up and accepted his fate.

391573_10151010295281470_472829155_n.jpg

tumblr_m9y8gd4l111ry9h3jo1_1280.jpg

lol my little sakura hates her harness but if i put her on the ground she'll follow me and not let me out of her site
my mex mex king snake Felix recently got out and i found him around hectors viv which kinda worried me luckily he couldn't get in

BluVision

jovamabob":pvht5j2v said:
Made Hige a little harness make-shift outta scrap leather so we can go outside properly. He didn’t even notice it existed and was very compliant, letting me dress and undress him as i adjusted it several times and had a wander round the living room, totally oblivious. To the point where i made him a little hat and he didn’t even try to take it off.

I think he may have given up and accepted his fate.

391573_10151010295281470_472829155_n.jpg

tumblr_m9y8gd4l111ry9h3jo1_1280.jpg

OMG!!! I love this!! I wish mine would let me use a harness. He tries to take it off, and it only took him about 5 mins to figure out how. lol

jovamabob

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Lol, at first i made it to loose and he just walked out of it. I made it a little tighter and he was fine - didn't even notice it was there! He still has wiggle room and has enough room to puff himself out into pancake mode, but its tight enough that he cant wiggle his legs out :D

jovamabob

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Me and Hige stopped in the park on the way home from helping out a friends class for a bit of a run/natural UVB and Hige got his first taste of grass! Some kind of concert was on so we didn't stop long, but here is his first feel of grass! Pic!:

tumblr_ma8v40HM091ry9h3jo1_500.jpg

He didn't seem to impressed by it and kept on insisting on running back to sit on my legs. I don't think he likes the feel of it.

jovamabob

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hige’s new UVB tube came today! His exo terra compact coil one broke so i took the opportunity to put in a new Arcadia 10% tube instead. I've heard good things about the tubes and how they get much more active with them, and i was really hoping it'd do the job - his appetite has been rock bottom since his old UVB bulb broke. I was not let down either! I put the bulb in as soon as it arrived at 8:30am and i left him be under it until 1pm when he came out for his exercise (he actually walked up to my hand to get out which he hasn't done for a long time!). Put him back in and he ate up every bit of his salad by the time i went to check on him at 5! To the point where i put fresh in and he was straight at it! He still refused livefood, but i reckon he'll be right back at it in a day or two. He hasn't eaten properly in around a fortnight, so i decided to give him a treat. I gave him some safe organic baby food (sourced via another thread on here) to give him a little bit of a boost. He didn't quite understand it so i popped a bit on the end of a lolly stick and he was straight at it! He went to the stuff i put down in a jar lid and nommed at that too - he’s been walking round with a little beard ever since and refuses to let me near his face to wipe it off!

tumblr_ma8vfpB7bC1ry9h3jo1_500.jpg

Tasting the baby food:
tumblr_ma8w9epsK11ry9h3jo2_1280.jpg

Dinner time! Wild Rocket and Lambs Lettuce, with a freshly grown pansy flower (which he ignored)
tumblr_ma8w9epsK11ry9h3jo1_1280.jpg

jovamabob

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The other day Hige had crickets for the first time in a while. Normally he gets dubia, superworms and phoenix worms since i hate the noise crickets make. I ran out of dubia i could feed off from my colony though so i went and got a tub of 35 brown crickets intending to feed a few and then some more the next day. Hige ate all 35 in less than 3 minutes. I emptied the tub into his feeding tub and he downed them all. Every single one. I guess the boy loves crickets huh?

He basked and slept for ages afterwards with a little fat belly! :D
tumblr_maf21qrLcP1ry9h3jo1_1280.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom