SEIZURES, BACK LEGS NOT WORKING** NEED IMMEDIATE HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I really need help with Kai :cry:
She is only around 6 or 7 months old and has been healthy since I got her.
She was completely fine one day and then on friday I found her laying on her side all disoriented in her cage. I picked her up her mouth opened and she started shaking and twisting and turning all crazy. normally she loves people so i knew that wasn't the issue.
The next day i noticed it was just 10x worse and she was shaking and rolling onto her back and not able to turn back over. she also wasnt using her back legs at all and was barely walking and when she did there was no use of the back legs at all. so i called a travelling vet to come out to my house (and spent $260 may i add).
the vet said that these were in fact seizures one after another and there were multiple things it could be. (lack of calcium, bacterial infection, virus, parasite, etc.) this was on saturday. he gave her a shot giving her calcium and other vitamins hoping this would help, and antibiotics just in case. I have been doing them but have seen no improvement.
i'm not sure if her back legs are paralyzed or what? but she hasn't pooped or anything. isit possible she cant if her legs arent working?
also i'm not sure if she goes into shock or what, but it seems like when she gets scared (when people go to pick her up etc) she will open her mouth pretty wide and just freeze completely and stop breathing for a few seconds but will eventually go back to laying there.
i dont know what to do does anyone have any ideas about any of this?!

right now she is taking antibiotics by shots for the next month and has to have a little gatorade everyday to keep the blood sugar up, but so far has shown no improvement.
pleaase help my baby :cry:

2enbvv4.jpg

this is kai before any of this happened (on the right)

103d0f4.jpg

this is kai now and she normally doesnt move from this position unless she uses her front 2 arms to move somewhere (not very far and very rarely)

Dooter

Sub-Adult Member
Aww, poor thing!!!

What kind of UVB light are you using?

How large are the prey that you are giving her?

What kind of substrate is she on?

taylorjanisch

Original Poster
Dooter":134yjatv said:
Aww, poor thing!!!

What kind of UVB light are you using?

How large are the prey that you are giving her?

What kind of substrate is she on?

I know i feel terrible i've been a wreck since friday because of this -.- sometimes ill find her flipped on her back and she can't get back over so i have to do it. im just worried when i'm at school and such because i'm scared she'll get stuck there and not be able to flip back over until i'm home.

her uvb is an exo terra repti glo 10.0 uvb. i have another dragon in the cage with her that is doing completely fine so i really dont know what's going on. one day she was fine and the next this is going on.. :cry:
they're on reptile carpet.

Dooter

Sub-Adult Member
How about the prey? What are you feeding her, and how big?

Are you dusting it with Calcium+D3?

You're going to want to get that UVB light out of there - the ReptiGlo's are known to cause problems with beardies. You can do a quick board search to find out more. Even though these bulbs are bad news, I'm not so sure its the main problem with Kai.

It almost sounds like she's impacted, which is why I'm asking about the prey and size. The repti-carpet is good to have them on.

taylorjanisch

Original Poster
Dooter":vuyb050d said:
How about the prey? What are you feeding her, and how big?

Are you dusting it with Calcium+D3?

You're going to want to get that UVB light out of there - the ReptiGlo's are known to cause problems with beardies. You can do a quick board search to find out more. Even though these bulbs are bad news, I'm not so sure its the main problem with Kai.

It almost sounds like she's impacted, which is why I'm asking about the prey and size.

ah weird i got the light from a reptile "expert" that has over 100 reptiles and is a breeder. the vet also said the light was good. thanks for letting me know!
she eats the small crickets from petsmart they're too small for her if anything. she also eats mealworms once or twice a week. i do dust them most of the time. if impaction is the how long ago would the too large of prey be from? and how can i fix this?

Dooter

Sub-Adult Member
I would try and get her into a warm bath. Massage her belly and see if you can get her to poop. It might take 20-30 min, but I really think something is lodged - when they're that small and they're impacted, it can cause temporary paralysis. :(

You might try giving her a couple drops of olive oil as well - that can act like a gentle laxative.

taylorjanisch

Original Poster
Dooter":336dbjl5 said:
I would try and get her into a warm bath. Massage her belly and see if you can get her to poop. It might take 20-30 min, but I really think something is lodged - when they're that small and they're impacted, it can cause temporary paralysis. :(

You might try giving her a couple drops of olive oil as well - that can act like a gentle laxative.

i can try i'm just scared to put her in any more pain ):
how do you think i should give the olive oil? shes not eating or drinking on her own i'm having to force feed her pretty much.

Dooter

Sub-Adult Member
taylorjanisch":35rkgtud said:
Dooter":35rkgtud said:

how do you think i should give the olive oil? shes not eating or drinking on her own i'm having to force feed her pretty much.

Well, I think the bath will be relaxing for her - she'll be able to relax and kind of float there. Just take 1 or 2 of your fingers and kind of rub in circles under her belly.

As for the olive oil, if she's not eating or drinking on her own, I'd give her a little with a dropper. Maybe 2 or 3 drops.

taylorjanisch

Original Poster
Dooter":10aktwok said:
taylorjanisch":10aktwok said:
Dooter":10aktwok said:

Well, I think the bath will be relaxing for her - she'll be able to relax and kind of float there. Just take 1 or 2 of your fingers and kind of rub in circles under her belly.

As for the olive oil, if she's not eating or drinking on her own, I'd give her a little with a dropper. Maybe 2 or 3 drops.

okay thank you so much! i'm hoping ill be able to put enough water in to do the job because she hasnt been standing on her front legs very much either or holding her head up.
i will try it tomorrow when shes up! hope it works fingers are crossed!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor thing, if you give her a bath don't leave her unattended as she could drown.
As suggested, the Reptiglo 10 tube bulb does not emit very good quality of UVB. Some dragons do not do well under them.
It does sound like she is hypocalcemic or has an impaction. Was a fecal done on her to determine worms or parasites?
At her age, she needs calcium 5 times per week.
How long have you had her?
You can use a plastic syringe or dropper to get oral fluids into her with. The mineral or olive oil is helpful when dealing with an impaction.
You mentioned that she can't support herself up off of the floor?
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Scrammy

Hatchling Member
Hello,
I'm new here as well but haven't done an intro yet. Just wanted to post here and say I'm sorry to here about your little girl. This exact same thing happened to mine last year. She was about the same age. I found her upside down, she looked horrible. She couldn't move or walk and was having seizures as well. It ended up being MBD. We weren't using the right uvb (petsmart *expert* recommended) and she wasn't getting enough calcium. We ended up having to puree her veggies (and crickets to cuz she couldn't eat on her own) with water and calcium +d3 powder and syringe feed her 2-3 x per day for several weeks. After about 2-3 weeks she was able to walk again. She made a full recovery, but it was a long journey. Unfortunately after getting more wrong info from 4 different pet stores We put her in calcium sand and she got impacted. She never had any seizures and was able to use her hind legs..just didn't want to. It was such a big impaction she was throwing up and her intestines were starting to prolapse. We felt so horrible..and still do. She had to be put down. :( :'(

Id suggest trying the syringe feeding. As our her told us, if she is able to make a comeback, it will take a while...but if she makes it thru the next few days she has a much better chance of survival.

Good luck!

EccentricME

Hatchling Member
I am sorry to hear about your baby. I have read a lot of bad things about meals worms being the cause of impaction. They have a very hard chitin that can be hard for dragons to digest. I would totally skip these when she is eating again.

Hope everything turns around for your dragon! :(

taylorjanisch

Original Poster
Today I tried to give her a bath in warm water and massage her stomach in case of an impaction. Only a little bit of poop came out, which is in no way everything. I think it did help her a little bit though. She started holding herself up on her front legs and holding her head up which she hasnt done since saturday afternoon. Her back legs also weren't straight behind her anymore and she pulled them in like normal. She seemed a little bit better which is great even if its small. I'm going to give her a bath tomorrow again and possibly some olive oil to see if i can get the rest and hope it works!!
she also walked for a little bit and tried to climb her tree surprisingly!

:blob8:

taylorjanisch

Original Poster
**I also just noticed her shedding on one of her legs and tail. Isn't shedding a sign of being healthy? This situation is so confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom