when can i expect improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.
long story ...
my 11 month old male stopped eating for around 3 weeks so i took him to my local reptile vet she sent off a fecal to the lab and it came back clear for worms but showed bacteria and small signs of cocodia ?
anyway i was given 6 shringes of an antibiotic to give him one every 3 days and some baycox to give him .05ml every thursday for 3 weeks
i have also been bathing him every other day in electrolytes and feeding him critical care i also took it upon myself to get him some probiotic (achidi something) and also got some liquid calcium & d3 (is this wise) as he's not been eating his food so getting no dust
which I've been giving him the recommended doses for the last week
my questions are as follows any help is greatly appreciated as I'm quite down about the whole thing

firstly when should i start to see some improvements the last injections are 1 tomorrow and one monday and I've just done my 3rd dose of baycox today
but he's still always laid under or behind something he's still hardly any appetite at all i think I've seen him eat 2 or 3 times and only a couple of crickets
he has started to get up and move around for an hour or so on a morning for the last few days but soon takes himself back off to sulk behind a leaf or under his log
is he stressed about the whole thing i know i would be if so what can i do

also should i be trying to get some food down him like maybe mushing up some butter worms and rocket and making a liquid that i can force feed him
he hasn't lost any weight but i fear he should of gained more than he has

I'm trying to do my best with him but to no avail I've followed everyones advice from here with the probiotics and stuff but seems my best mate is still broken

spikerocks

Juvie Member
Hi there! The recovery from coccidia and the antibiotics can take quite some time. 2 of my males had it and it seemed like it took FOREVER for them to test clean and return to normal. Force feeding should be a last resort.

If you have critical care, try mixing in some squash baby food with it. Then using a syringe, squirt a drop onto their mouth, right where the lips meet. At this point you have to be patient! They will eventually lick it to investigate. Once they lick it, squirt small amounts onto the same spot to get the food in. Normally, they will continue to lick until they back away, at which point they are finished. I did this three times a day until they would eat on their own again. It takes time and perserverance. The fact that he hasn't lost any weight yet is a great sign.

As you are probably already aware, the probiotic should be given 6 hours after the antibiotic, otherwise the antibiotic will kill off the probiotic too. Just wanted to make sure you knew.

How are you sanitizing his enclosure?

yorkshiredragon

Original Poster
I've given the probiotic on every day except the day I've given the antibiotics just though it best not to mix the 2

as for his viv when i first found out i washed all the rocks and logs and bowls in a diluted bleach bath then rinsed many times with boiling water since then I've been disinfecting his viv out and everything else every few days i threw things like fake plants and stuff away and bought new

yorkshiredragon

Original Poster
ps he only showed really small signs of coccidia which is why the dose was only once a week for 3 weeks it was the bacteria making him lose his appetite she said

spikerocks

Juvie Member
Ok, that's great. For future reference, you can bake logs and rocks by wrapping them in foil and bake at 200 for 30 mins. I opted to buy a steamer and used this to sanitize the enclosures as well as everything inside. I think it was a life saver and I still use the steamer for my monthly all-inclusive cleaning. I'm not sure if this is an option for you but no chemicals = safe for beardies!

Hang in there and please let me know if he eats from the syringe for you!

yorkshiredragon

Original Poster
i bought some reptile disinfectant it deals with bacterias and salmonela so I've been using that every few days then letting it dry before putting him back in
i couldn't fit the logs in my oven thats why i opted for the bleach and boiling water

so when can i expect to see him pick up ?

yorkshiredragon

Original Poster
sorry just saw the bottom bit he's been taking the critical care by me dripping onto his nose havnt tried the baby food gonna go get some now squash u say ? anything else i should avoid ?

yorkshiredragon

Original Poster
right looking on my local supermarket website they have organic sweet squash & chicken for 4 months old babies this be ok ?

spikerocks

Juvie Member
Yes, the squash and chicken is good. They really seem to like the squash baby food. The protein will be helpful. Every beardie is different. My guys took almost 2 months AFTER finishing the treatment to bounce back completely! Your guy may not be so high maintenance, you kinda have to wait and see what happens. Also, while at the market you can swing by the pharmacy and ask for a few medicine syringes. They'll give them to you free and it helps to have plenty on hand until he eats on his own. I continued to offer bugs even if they wouldn't take them. Some days I offered bugs 2x.

You probably don't have to do the electrolyte soaks daily unless the diarrhea is really bad. I actually didn't do it when my boys had treatment. However, if you like to do them, go right ahead. I was just so overwhelmed with all the meds and cleaning and such that I couldn't do anything extra. Of course, I have 6 beardies tho! :)

The fact that he hasn't lost any weight is great but don't fret too much if he does. My boys went down like 30g and it was no big deal. They rebounded fine and actually outgrew my scale, the fatties lol!

yorkshiredragon

Original Poster
Thank you. He's eaten 2 shringes full of critcare/baby food seemed to quite like it.
Yeah ur right it's really hard work with the injections meds cleaning feeding bathing and not to mention the vets bills. It's really got me down also I chose him because he was so big Im worried he won't grow as big as I'd hoped now. He's 340g & 17" at 11 months. Hopefully he will bounce back soon :((

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom