Beardies broken leg results after bone was set

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got the x ray back on my lizards broken leg after it was set, it's pretty crooked! It's set at about a 50% accuracy based on the angulations of the bone. this is very upsetting to me as I would hope for at least 80%. I was wondering what other dragon owners have seen who's bearies have had a broken leg and about how accurate the fix was. Pics would be appreciated as well. I'll try and upload pics as well but I am on my phone. Btw he is 7 inches head to tail, he broke his hind femur, which is about and inch in length, just the femur.

beardylover3

Original Poster
2epswwg.jpg

Picture after bone was set

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no!
I am sorry to hear that, how long ago did this happen to him & how long has the bone been set? Do you think it is going to affect his mobility at all?Wow, that is pretty crooked actually. I am kind of suprised that they could not get it any straighter than that?
Do you have a good UVB light & use calcium on a regular basis?

Tracie

beardylover3

Original Poster
Hi, it's been almost 3 weeks since. Pics have been posted. I think our will definitely effect hours mobility, another very said the bone definitely shouldn't look like that so we are taking him to a different vet.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I would definitely try to see if they can set that a little bit better. Three weeks is a little bit of time, but hopefully they can do something for him.
They may have to put him under anesthesia to reset it, I am not sure. It would be pretty painful for him.

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Did you take him to the new vet yet? If they are going to try & reset it I would imagine that they will need to place him under anesthesia though as it would probably be pretty painful.
How is he doing now?
I have never had a dragon with a broken leg though. I just know that this x-ray doesn't look good & it probably should be reset.

Tracie

beardylover3

Original Poster
He goes in tomorrow, I am a little worried about his leg cause it has turned a darker shade, i almost wondered if the vet also wrapped/splinted his leg to tight and cut off the circulation to his leg, its loose now since its going to have to be re set anyways. Ill definitely be updating this.

Lord....it's so hard to find a good reptile vet!! I love the one I use, but I still double check everything he says and do my own research!!! I also believe in second opinions and I told my Vet that up front. Please let us know what the new Vet says about that leg.....I agree it doesn't look like it was lined up well at all!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great, keep us posted on his leg & his next vet visit.
I hope they are able to get it all set properly. Poor guy, so you loosened his cast up some, how is the color of his skin now?

Tracie

beardylover3

Original Poster
Its not looking good at all, I removed the splint cause the vet couldn't resplint him yet and didnt do anything about the splint, so after observing myself, it DEFINITELY seemed the splint was to tight, so I decided to remove it, very risky but it turned out to be the best choice, however, things look really bad, his leg is nearly 50% atrophied after 3 weeks for being in the splint, the splint was STILL to tight for the atrophied leg, his foot is pretty dark, and seems as thought there is alot of dead tissue, so I think he will most likely be losing his foot. He is at the new vet now, overnight cause they closed at 4 for some reason today instead of 8. Its pretty sad that this situation has come to this. I resplinted his leg for now and may opt for surgery, but the way his leg looks now due to lack of blood supply im not sure what to do, the bones also pulled to far away from each other cause the splint was not wrapped well enough to hold the bones together, I could tell with just common sense. If youre in the Utah ever DO NOT go to wasatch exotic pet care. So the bones have not even begun to fuse and are starting to close off, not sure what will happen here. Anyone have any recommendations? Should I sue?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh I am so sorry to hear that he may lose his foot due to this.
I am not one to sue but I would agree some type of negligence or report should be looked into. Have you contacted them to let them know what they have caused?
I hope they are able to get the bone set to an acceptable level for him. I am not sure what they will opt for with his bones being starting to close. If they have not fused there may be something they can do in surgery for him.
I hate to hear this has happened to him, poor guy.
Keep us posted on him!

Tracie

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
Oh my goodness, I just read your thread and I'm so sorry for your little one's leg.
That x-ray looks awful.It's horrible what that vet did to your little guy! I hope
this new vet can do something for your little one's poor leg! I'll be thinking of
you both.
Amanda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom