First Hatchlings! A question... (moving this post to here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to post this twice, but I wasn't getting any responses in the breeder section. I want to make sure that this little guy's ok ASAP, so I'm moving this here.

Hi there,

Our first clutch of eggs is starting to hatch! It's really exciting, but all very new, as this is our first clutch. I checked the eggs when I got home from work, and much to my surprise, was missing a dragon! I saw a collapsed egg with no dragon next to it. I looked a little harder, and it turns out the little guy had made his way all of the way out of the egg and managed to halfway bury himself in the vermiculite.

Is that normal behavior for a hatchling? He started coming out of the egg late last night, and we saw his little nose this morning. From what my research and other breeders have told me, it's a good idea to leave the hatchlings in the incubator for at least 24-48 hours. I just want to make sure that he's ok.

Here's a picture:
imag0395j.jpg

Thank you!

Dementeddogz

Hatchling Member
Common practice is to leave them on a damp paper towel in individual tubs for 24-48 hours inside the incubator

frostyfriend

Original Poster
kaco":243j2sxp said:
Common practice is to leave them on a damp paper towel in individual tubs for 24-48 hours inside the incubator
That makes sense! The incubator is pretty small, so I don't think I have enough room for individual tubs. Would putting him on damp paper towels under a CHE work? Otherwise, I might just find another way to improvise!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

A lot of breeders leave them in the incubator just as is, on the vermiculite mix for a couple of days. Has he completely absorbed his yolk sac yet?
If you could get a small plastic bin to hold steady temperatures & humidity as the incubator does, placing him on a moist paper towel would be great, too.

Tracie

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Normal behavior,
As long as the yolk sac is gone. I give a quick soak to wash off the vermeculite then into the heated bins. I almost never go the 24 hours, because I tend to incubate cooler for longer. No yolk sacs that way.

frostyfriend

Original Poster
Thank you so much, everyone, for you help!

We incubate cooler for longer as well- his little yolk sack is all gone. We have two completely out now- very exciting, and very cute!

Going to have a lot of work ahead of us :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom