Beardie ate a piece of tinsel!! Help please!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

frozzenisland

Hi,

I have two bearded dragons, both under the age of 1. I had them out tonight and Sprint, the very active one was running around on the floor when she spotted a piece of tinsel and gobbled it up before I could get it out of her mouth. Now I'm scared for her :( She's acting fine for the moment, but it was only about 15 minutes ago she ate it. The tinsel was about 2-5 inches long. Is she going to be okay?! Is there anything I should do right away?

Thanks in advance for any help.
~B

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You can give her some baby food or apple sauce mixed with veg. oil to try to grease it through, or just pure veg. oil . If you can get her mouth open [ like with a credit card ] part of it may still be where you can grab it with tweezers or something. If not, she may pass it tomorrow, I don't think bathing her tonight will do it, but you could be surprised. Just give her some lubricant [ veg. oil] and try the bath tomorrow. If she seems in distress, you may need a vet.

frozzenisland

Original Poster
Thank you very much for your response, I tried to get it out, but she swallowed it too far for me to grab. I put her in the bath and she is now sleeping. In the morning I will try the applesauce with a little vegatable oil to help her pass it but if she doesn't or seems to get sick from it, I'll definitely take her in :( poor thing! Thank you again for your response!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How big is your dragon?
A piece of tinsel can be very serious. Honestly, I am not sure she will be able to pass it on her own, as it could get wound around her insides, but not sure.
Her digestive system is slow, as are all reptiles. So, it most likely wont pass through in 24 hours, it may take several days. You can try giving the sugar free applesauce, olive or mineral oil along with squash baby food daily, along with a bath. That "may" help but you will need to take her in to see the vet as soon as you can.
Keep her tank around 80 overnight to help increase her metabolism rate.

Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Good advice from Tracie, keep her a bit warmer during the night. I see that she is less than a year old, her metabolism will be faster than an older dragon, and if she has always had regular b.m.'s. it could go through within a day. It will be an absolute emergency if it winds around her insides, so a vet visit is a good idea. Hopefully the oil + soft food will get it through, several doses a day. Please post how this turns out.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree that you need to keep her very well hydrated and also on soft food. As I mentioned in my pm, watch her for any signs of stress at all, pushing with nothing coming out, darkened beard/and or tail, lethargic behavior, looking miserable. It would be a good idea to get her to a vet anyway so that an xray can be taken to see where exactly the tinsel is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom