finally introducing me and my beardies..

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoemay

well ive been on her for a little while now, and have gotten a lot of advice already and my beardies are really happy now :D

so my name is zoe and i am the proud owner of 2 beardies called bob and maggie. bob is around 7 months old and maggie is slightly older at around 8 months approximately. unfortunately unknown to me maggie had been with a male previously and therefore within the first week of me having her she decided to lay me 17 fertile eggs 4 of which were infertile and 13 of which are now incubating in a homemade incubator. so ive had a very busy and stressful start to beardie ownership but i deffinately wouldnt change either of them (except for maggie having been breed so young of course) !!

so here are a few photo's:
Bob having a relax in his bath:
05052012036.jpg

maggie having a good munch on her veg (seen quite often i may add!!):
05052012035.jpg

showing off her beautiful black beard to Bob:
05052012034.jpg

05052012033.jpg

relaxing on the rim on her viv:
05052012032.jpg

05052012030.jpg

Bob being cheeky and hiding in my washing :oops:
05052012031.jpg

hope you all enjoy looking :p

zoemay

Original Poster
thank you :D glad someone replied was starting to think that they werent as gorgous to all of you as they are to me :(

Zeusmybeardie

Gray-bearded Member
Looks good 1 problem sand is ba it can cause impaction a better substrate is tile non adhesive shelf liner paper towel or news paper 2. Are they houses toghther 3. What's the temps cool side hot side and basking spot what kind of thermometer u got what kind of UVB coil or tube

zoemay

Original Poster
1. It is not sand lol its a type of substrate made out of corn kernels so it is completely digestable (if they did eat a bit) they also got fed all their veg in a container and the live food gets put in with the veg and tends to stay in the containers having a bit of gut loading before being eaten lol

2. no they aren't together they each have a 3ft viv, although that is some good advice i had from being on here as previously they were but i quickly went out and purchased a whole new viv with all new lighting and heating needed.

3. temps cool side:- 25C (goes down to around 21 at night)
temps basking side:- 38/39C
thermometers:- i have double digital thermometers in each viv.
uvb:- they each have a 10.0 30" repti sun strip bulb in each viv

zoemay

Original Poster
yay :D thanks..... i always worry when i get asked specific questions like temps as i always panic that they may not be correct :oops: glad to get the all okay lol

i work in a small pet store and we supply live food to our customers. i had recently purchased my male and when my boss was doing one of our live food orders he had been told about a young female that was looking for a home as she was the last left from a previous batch they had, had and had at some point gotten a damaged tail (guessing from a bully of a beardie) and she now only has around half of her tail (you cant tell in the pics as shes hiding it) lol.
so my boss mentioned her to me and i couldnt resist oviously...... but sadly they hadnt mentioned that she had been with another male (luckily now i know he wasnt related) so when she first arrived at the store i firstly thought she was in fab condition as she was nice and plump and had a good amount of weight on her (now knowing it was eggs all along) :banghead:

after just over a week of me having her and her going through all the motions of digging she finally laid 17 eggs, 13 of which are now being incubated :) but unfortunately i think she's filling up with a second batch :( which i didnt want as i want to get some good weight on her first......

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome to the site! :D

I wouldn't use the corn kernel substrate though. Impactions aren't the only risks associated with loose substrates.

-Brandon

zoemay

Original Poster
Zeusmybeardie":eahexoba said:
Oh yeah I was gonna ask u do u run lamps during the night

i dont at the moment as im in an attic bedroom and the temps seem pretty good during the night at the moment although i am hoping to get a ceramic put into bobs tank before the winter and then have them attached to thermostats during the night to keep it at a good temp, just incase as it can get a bit cold during the winter in my bedroom lol...

claudiusx":eahexoba said:
Welcome to the site! :D

I wouldn't use the corn kernel substrate though. Impactions aren't the only risks associated with loose substrates.

-Brandon

what other risks are there ??? i used to have them on newspaper but it looked so ugly and un-natural so thought this would be the best option :?

thank you all for the lovely comments :D

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It is a sanitary issue, along with possible dust particles and larger particles getting stuck in the eyes.

It is basically like a litterbox when you think about it. No matter how well and how fast you clean up after your dragon poos in it, there is no way possible to get all of the poo, all of the germs. Those germs and bacteria spread throughout the tank. Not an ideal living condition IME.

Tile is a great substrate IMO. It looks very nice and is a very safe option. :mrgreen:

-Brandon

zoemay

Original Poster
i hope to get my dad to eventually put tiles in the bottom of their vivs, thanks for the advice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom