Hello Everyone... New Owner with plenty of questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prophet

Hello everyone... So yesterday I had one of my neighbors who just lost his house because of some poor decision making on his part stopped by. He was very distraught because he had two bearded dragon's and his new apartment would not fit his three kids, wife, and these two bearded dragons comfortably. He wanted to know if I would be willing to take them...

lol... I guess since he figured I breed Rottweilers and own two saltwater nano tanks and two freash water tanks that one more tank wouldn't do me any harm... long story short I said sure bring them by and I will take them. So here they are... two more mouths to feed...

IMG_0209.JPG

IMG_0204.JPG

IMG_0201.JPG

So all night I have been reading and researching about these guys... I now know there tank is way too small. I am thinking about giving one away because after all I am reading I believe I can only care and have room for one. I have all ready removed the plants and now in the process about getting a repticarpet for the substrate and removing the sand. I am also trying to figure out a new diet for these guys because what the guy told me he was feeding is the exact opposite of what they should be eating. On top of that I do not think they where eating much because that little container that he brought over with carrots had mold at the bottom... :banghead:

So feedback... opinions... I could sure use them. I am glad I found this forum!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well you did the right thing by researching and asking questions. There are some great care sheets located here:
http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/

By the looks of it those dragons are old and at that age need mainly salad but they also need some feeder insects. Here is a good site to whats a good salad for them:
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

As for feeders you can give them large crickets, dubia roaches, superworms, hornworms, waxworms, silkworms, the list can go on for awhile. Once you find a feeder you think will be good you can always just ask on here if people think it is a good feeder.

Good luck with your new beardies.

-Beandon

Prophet

Original Poster
These guys are about three years old from what he told me.

claudiusx":dffd6 said:

Well he was only feeding them apples and carrots... thank you for linking me to that site. I was able to find collard greens and dandelion greens for a staple and I still have them on a bit of apples and carrots but I will eventually reduce that to every now and again as a treat. I am still having no luck for a feeder. I could only find mealworms... tommorow is Monday and I am going to check out the local feedstore to find silkworms, waxworms, or superworms.

How often do these guys go poop? I am still waiting to see how it looks before I get to worried...

On a plus they seem to really enjoy the greens... ate them right up... I will have some questions about lighting but I have a bit more research to do. The old owner only had that one light above them since he had them and I do not think that is the correct like. I went to see how much the bulbs are today and I found it but it is a Fluker basking light. Not a MVB light like he said it was.

I have made the decision to rehome one of them and currently looking for a local person. If I can't find one of my friends to pick him up I will post here...

Thanks again for the warm welcome!

FaaFaa

Sub-Adult Member
They are really pretty babies you have there. It sounds like you did more of a rescue than anything. Just keep asking and eveyone here will keep answering. This forum is the best. Did you get your lights all figured out yet? I know that it can be overwhelming when you first get these guys. In a few weeks you will be a pro, promise! As far as feeders a lot of us order online. I like mulberryfarms.com I buy silkworms and superworms from them. The supers are cheaper and the last a lot longer and are easier to care for too. Do you now the sex of your beardies yet? Good luck with these guys and good on you for taking them! DOn't pass that other one off just yet, you may change your mind. :p :p I never thought I would have 2, and now I do. In the enclosure section there are great pics and ideas for DIY enclosures that are double deckers, so that would slove the issue with space. :p Sorry I'm terrible. Just another option so you could keep them both if you wanted to. And oh, my boy poops twice a day and my girl poops every other day. Give them a little time to adjust.

Jen

Prophet

Original Poster
FaaFaa":4de8b said:
They are really pretty babies you have there. It sounds like you did more of a rescue than anything. Just keep asking and eveyone here will keep answering. This forum is the best. Did you get your lights all figured out yet? I know that it can be overwhelming when you first get these guys. In a few weeks you will be a pro, promise! As far as feeders a lot of us order online. I like mulberryfarms.com I buy silkworms and superworms from them. The supers are cheaper and the last a lot longer and are easier to care for too. Do you now the sex of your beardies yet? Good luck with these guys and good on you for taking them! DOn't pass that other one off just yet, you may change your mind. :p :p I never thought I would have 2, and now I do. In the enclosure section there are great pics and ideas for DIY enclosures that are double deckers, so that would slove the issue with space. :p Sorry I'm terrible. Just another option so you could keep them both if you wanted to. And oh, my boy poops twice a day and my girl poops every other day. Give them a little time to adjust.

Jen

lol... thanks Jen but even with the wifey even wanting me to keep both I really feel that this being my first beardies and to make sure I give both a comfortable living environment I think I should only keep one. It wouldn't be fair if I laxed in my care because it was too much for me. I have four Rottweilers and numerous fish tanks in my house along with two growning boys to feed. I am currently in no hurry... I am just waiting for the right home for the second one. Not just going to give it to anyone...

As for lighting I am waiting till I purchase this: 42x18x18 Cage

When I get it in I am going to buy the required lighting for them. I will be purchasing these next month...

jortiz9758

Sub-Adult Member
Really nice on your part to take them in. Try and get yourself a UVB light for them as soon as you can. http://www.petmountain.com has the reptisun 10.0 for about 20 dollars and it is the best. You will need a housing to power and hold the tube as well. I dont know where you are located but if you are in a fairly warm area...taking them out into natural sunlight for about an hour or so is a great way for them to absorb the much needed UVB rays.

Ask away ask away...I have learned so much from this board myself. :D

FaaFaa

Sub-Adult Member
Here's an idea for you lighting.... get a T-Rex or MegaRay MVB it will give them the heat and the UVA/B rays that they need. With the right fixture and possibly a little tweeking you can then put it into the new cage as well. It is vital that they get the right light/temps so that they can digest their food properly and take all the nutrients from it that they need. It's just an idea.... you can find the above mentioned lights at petmountian.com.

Jen

Prophet

Original Poster
Thank you for the warm welcome everyone!

I have tried to find a friend of mine to take the other beardie and I can not find anyone. So I posted a Giveaway thread here: [ Invalid URL Removed / p= t=116718 f=51 ]

So if you are in the local area and would like to take this great guy into your home please let me know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom