which bulb for heat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashleyelsha

Juvie Member
I have a ceramic heat fixture that is rated for bulbs up to 75 watts. I have a 75 watt exo-terra night bulb, but since I found out even my 2 -3 month old new bearded dragon doesn't need night heat I want to buy a heat bulb that provides some UVA light spectrum. I also have an 18" UVB light flourescent strip in the tank. So which brand bulbs does everyone used? I would also like something more energy effecient, 75 watts is a lot to leave burning for 10 hours a day, but a compact flourescent bulb won't really provide enough heat, will it?

I was looking at these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002AR3NU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER
http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Reptile-Basking-Watts/dp/B00025YW8E/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1ZFW2SR9B0DLP&colid=18UV8NRVWVYSM

Thanks
Ashley

BotanicalStig

Juvie Member
The reptile companies' bulbs are just fine- I like zoomed. It's also totally fine to use a regular, household incandescent as long as it isn't colored or white- clear glass only. There's no saving energy here, the reason why LED energy savers save energy is because they don't waste it as heat. In this situation, we need to waste some energy to give us heat. I use a 100 watt zoomed in my 40 gallon breeder to keep the basking spot between 100 and 105.

ashleyelsha

Juvie Member
Original Poster
ok thanks for the info. now here is another question. I have the heat light on the right side of the tank with a rock and climbing branch. He likes to sit on the branch under the heat light but he scampers around the cage too. The UV light is 18" on a 20 gallon long tank so does he receive enough UVB rays while he is sitting under the basking lamp? Does he have to sit directly under the UVB light to absorb enough UVB rays? I will be buying a new VIV for him in the next few months so I can mount the lights inside but right now they are on top of a screen, however the screen has pretty big holes in it and the light is a reptiglo light and says it is suitable to use outside of a screen top.

carlisv

Hatchling Member
Each brand of bulb gives off a different amount of UVB per distance. There are lots of posts on this forum that you can search to see exactly what the details are for your particular bulb. Overall, though, even if he scampers around quite a bit during the day, he should absorb enough UVB if he's not under a hide or anything. In the wild beardies bask for a while, then go into the shade for a while, then back into the sun, then shade, all day long. If you could get him outside for real sunlight every now and then you wouldn't have to worry about his bulb so much. Real sunlight is much more potent UVB for them than bulbs anyway.

For heat you can get a 60 watt, a 75 watt, and a 100 watt bulb and see which one keeps the heat best for you. Just make sure they're clear. I have a closet full of bulbs for different weather, seasons, etc. that I switch out all the time. At $2 apiece I'm always ready for temperature changes!

Goodtruant

Sub-Adult Member
For UVB tubes, stick with ReptiSUN 10.0 and Arcadia 12% linear tubes.

I've used the ZooMed's you posted for basking, pretty good light, although I had one burn out really fast....the other in the pack has lasted a while now.

I picked up a 6 pack of Sylvania bright white flood lights on amazon for about the same price as a 2 pack of the ZooMeds. Going to give these a try when my ZooMed burns out.

ashleyelsha

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks for all the info. I did take him out for some sunlight the past couple days. My daughter loves taking him outside and She just holding him in general, she is 5. For a 5 year old though she's been handling snakes since she was two, so holding the beardie is way easier for her than handling her corn snake. She's also my child who catches every toad, frog, and lizard she sees outside and tells me it's her "best friend'. :lol: yep that's my girl... yet the 3 year old boy is terrified of anything that wiggles, he freaked out when I was getting the phoenix worms separated from the substrate in the container to feed and some crawled over the side of the lid I was putting them on and onto the floor. I finally got him to touch the bearded dragon with one finger and then he said "mommy you can put the lizard in his cage now".

Alright so I will get a clear bulb for heat basking< I don't have to worry too much about temperature changes since I keep my house at 76 year round and I live in Florida so it doesn't really get cold. I do have the reptiglo light, I plan on getting a reptisun when I upgrade but I was wondering if I should add a second strip flourescent light just to increase the spectrum, like maybe a lower UVB output light. The reptiglo reccomends using the reptiglo 10 in conjunction with the reptiglo 2.0, but I was thinking about using it in conjunction with a plant gro or daylight bulb and putting some live plants in the viv that are safe for bearded dragons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom