Frustration.....!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarai

I'm not sure where my other post went, but it basically asked how long it would take for my little guy to perk up after i bought him a new UV bulb, then someone told me the UV bulb i have wasn't good and i should get rid of it and buy a reptisun.

I'm getting really sick of this, are these just opinions or is there actually something to back this up?
I have a Zilla brand, desert, strip UV bulb. Is it any different that the reptisun brand, desert, strip UV bulb? They're both the same size, wattage and style, is Zilla really bad, or is this one of those tomato to-mah-to type things.

bdalton

Sub-Adult Member
Yes, the zilla UVB is a bad bulb. It emits too much UVB in short wavelengths and there are many cases where it has causes eye, skin and health issues.

How long have you had the reptisun now?
How close can he get to it?
What was he doing that made you worry? Is he still doing it now?

If you could just go over your setup quickly I can see if there's any other issues.
Your temps, how you measure them, type of basking light, night light, his diet and poo schedule.

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this and get your beardie back to normal :)

warnisha

Juvie Member
unfortunately it is a bad bulb! There are studies that show the harmful affects! Hang in there I know it is frustrating at first but once you get them all set up its alot easier!!!!

Sarai

Original Poster
I haven't had a reptisun bulb yet, I was waiting to buy one until I knew for sure if the Zilla was bad. He's been sluggish, when I take him out he usually explores, but lately he just chills on my lap and doesn't seem like he wants to walk around, he just stays on the cool side of his tank mostly, laying down. this has been going on for a little over a week. He's around 5 months old and his light was just as old so I assumed it was time for a new one anyway (because of the 6 month rule for UV bulbs) and I thought that was the reason for him being sluggish.

here is his set up:
421658_361159200563545_100000084036707_1464646_998707817_n.jpg

When he's in his hammock, he can get about 4 inches away from the bulb, when on the ground maybe like 8 inches? his basking spot is around 105 and the cool side of his tank is 70. his poo schedule is really off, I've been giving olive oil to him like once a week and about 3 hours after I do that he poos (he has had digestive health problems since he was little because I was steered wrong by the pet store and used mealworms as a staple for around 2 months, yes he has been to the vet for his tummy issues)

He eats reptiworms every day now, crickets every once in a while for variety, collard greens, apples, mangos, green beans, and romaine lettuce, he also eats this stuff called repti bites, its a commercial food, I top his salad with it. his veggies gets sprayed with calcium stuff because its hard to dust worms and keep it on them long enough for him to eat them.
he has a basking light that i got at walmart, it barely glows- its like a dim purple i dunno the brand, but it works well.

Since I got the new UV bulb, he has come out to bask a few times, but still isn't as active as before (i've only had the new one for a day)

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
ReptiGLO has probems too. Also 4 inches is WAY too close. www.petmountain.com is a good place to order the reptiSUN tube. MAke sure it is the tube.

Here are some links to information regarding the safety and reliability of certain UVB bulbs:

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Researchmain.html

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/aboutus.htm

Reading the research, it is undeniable that the ReptiSUN and Arcadia d3 12% are the best and safest bulbs to use for bearded dragons because of their UVB requirements.

KatieKat

Juvie Member
I know its frustrating, but the right lighting for them is necessary. And, I wouldn;t have told you the Zilla had issues if I myself, wasn't sure :) But Its just a simple matter of switching them out.

bdalton

Sub-Adult Member
Do you have a local petco? My petco sells reptisuns for 30$ and a place called monster pets (its a chain store)
You should get a new basking bulb. It needs to be bright white, no color tints. A regular clear household bulb works perfect or a halogen flood light. You can get a pack of 4 clear bulbs at walmart for under 5$ The brightness protects their eyes from the uvb. The brighter your viv, the better, and.your beardie will be happy too.
so long as theres no other issues going on with your beardie, you will definetly see improvememt in him amd his activity levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom