another bad repti-glo 10.0 uvb tube experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

macdaddy

Hey guys, i thought i would let you know about george and his bad experience with the repti-glo 10 uvb tube i got for him

so i have been reading all these posts about the repti-glo compacts being so bad...so i thought i would switch george to a tube, since he was being super lazy and just not himself. hiding all the time, not eating, etc. after i switched him to the tube, his behaviour began to pick up, he started eating and being more active, even pooping (after he passed his impaction...stupid superworms). i did everything properly, like the burn in period for the bulb and everything, and after only a week i noticed george was basking with his eyes closed...and i'm thinking ok, he's just chilling out. then in the days following he began to bask while hiding his head (quite funny to see, wish i had gotten a pic). then one morning i woke up and saw that george had something like crust in his eyes (similar to sleep eye, if thats what you call it, that we humans get sometimes) accompanying his dark stress marks on his belly. so i chalked it up to the uv tube. i even had the tube a good 14" away from my little guy. after turning it off, george is much more happy, no crusty eyes. since its still warm outside i've been taking him outside to get some good quality real sun rays, until my repti-sun comes in the mail.

bottom line is...don't waste your money on the repti-glo 10. i thought ok so it hurts some beardies, but it won't hurt george...but it did. don't cheap out on this one guys

Thanks for sharing; I was curious about what negative effects the Repli-Glo caused, since everyone says to stay away. I, too, am waiting on my Repti-Sun to arrive so I can replace mine.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Glad to hear that you turned the light off, but sorry George had a bad experience with that light. Were you using a bright white light right beside it?
The problem is not only with the harmful low wavelengths that it produces, it is also just overall a poor quality UVB source. It doesn't really produce enough higher wavelength UVB to help with vitamin D3 synthesis. If used for long periods of time the calcium levels of your dragon will begin to drop if they are not producing enough D3 or absorbing calcium properly which will lead to metabolic bone disease. They are simply not as good as the Reptisun 10 or the Arcadia D3 12% tube bulbs.

Tracie

macdaddy

Original Poster
well i had his 75 watt basking bulb right beside the uv tube cuz i know he needs both when he's basking (i'm not sure if the 75 watt would be classed as a bright white light or not) but i got thinking and remembered when george was a baby that when he shed his face there was something like a crust in his eye that was the dried up skin...but the crust from the light wasn't white like the skin...it was brown. no problems since i turned it off though he's back to being himself. i'm sure he would much rather have the real rays from the sun anyway.

and i went to return the repti-glo 10 at the pet store where i got it. she looked at me weird when i said i wanted to return it. she said it was her best bulb then i told her what happened. she didn't believe me, of course, and she went on to say that the guy who makes the repti-glo bulbs is the leading researcher of uv absorption in bearded dragons and that the 10 is designed specifically for beardies and blah blah blah i guess she didn't want to give me my money back so she tried convincing me to keep it. i don't know how much truth there was to her speech, but i don't believe it. how could the leading researcher make a bulb that hurts my beardie and so many others? oh well...its too bad i had to learn the hard way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom