Norris Notes - Two years already?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirthy

Sub-Adult Member
Hello there,
I'm not so great with the camera but I wanted to keep a sort of scrapbook, photo thread for Norris. We got him on the fourth of July in a semi impulse buy. My husband and I have been talking about getting a bearded dragon for a little over a decade now. He's taken care of an iguana before and I've worked with a variety of herps briefly, for a former job. When we are in a store with beardies, that's where we end up. It was a given that we would one day own one, it was just a matter of timing. Well, here we are. :D I've recently had to take a bunch of time off to adjust to some medication for some migraine managing and was a little gloomy about it...there was a beardie looking as inscrutable as could be. Factor in a husband wanting to cheer me up and wanting the fellow for himself as well...

enough of that! Pictures!
Today is Norris' 5th week anniversary. I made him a extra large plate of greens to celebrate! I expected him to ignore it but he surprised me.
DSCF0272.jpg

That is collard greens, a little bok choy, cactus, two blue berries and some mashed up bits of mango. This is far more salad that I normally present him. I wanted something big enough for him not to ignore. Apparently, it worked. I also think that the slope up to the food, instead of down into the bowl might have interested him?

DSCF0274.jpg

DSCF0275.jpg

He is still far more interested in crickets and other things that wiggle and squirm, as he should be. This was just for a bit of fun. He had that bit of bok choy stuck on his chin for a while. :D

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Great photos.

Boy what a big salad. I can only imagine the look on his face haha.

-Brandon

Mirthy

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thank you, Brandon.
I didn't want him to be able to over look it! And he sure didn't! He ran right to it while I was dusting some crickets. My fingers are crossed that he will stay excited about greens.

-M

valcash

Sub-Adult Member
Maybe he is telling you he wishes for you to prepare him this same veggie feast every morning.

Mirthy

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Haha Valcash,
Yes, though he only had about five or six bites of the whole thing. Then the crickets ate on it. I couldn't leave it even with the crickets long, it would mold too quickly. Still, he had fun with it!

McSkweeky

Juvie Member
Those are FABULOUS pics Mirthy!! I am impressed!! I will have to try something that large for Dresden to see if he will try to ignore it. I haven't seen him take a bite of greens yet. He much prefers the dubia and reptiworms, though the dubia get priority since they run versus squirm.

He is still tiny! I can only imagine how small he was when you first brought him home. You're such a great mom! How big is he now? Have you measured and/or weighed him?

How are things going with your migraines? I have a good friend who is also been in a constant battle with severe migraines. I hope you are doing well!

--Maggie

Mirthy

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hi there Herpgirl,
He thinks he is being pestered but he is as spoiled as can be.

Hi Maggie,
Thanks! I weighed him last night at 9 grams. I was a little disappointed because I hoped we had finally got to the double digit mark and because I misremembered his prior weight as 9 grams. This is why I write everything down 8) He has been regularly gaining weight.
Since he is little and under weight, I've been weighing him once every four days. I need to measure him today. Yesterday got a little crazy..
because my cat (who needs to be reneutered ) whom I remind myself I love dearly..killed my computer last night. I think it is dead. I've put it somewhere else to dry. I had my scale, camera and my computer on my desk and I had a glass of ice tea. I thought, "No way am I putting this down on my desk right now." and set it on the window sill next to me. My cat launched up to the back of my chair and in a continued blur of motion vaulted to the sill, turned and did a double mule kick to my glass....projecting it all the way over to my desk. Even the Russian judges gave him a 10. It's a laptop. It shut off. I'm drying it out. My fingers are crossed. So, to answer your migraine question in a round about way, last night not so good *LOL*.

McSkweeky

Juvie Member
Holy cow! I love how you tell stories by the way. They are always so entertaining! Reneuter a cat?! Hilarious! I always leave my windows open lately...We are finally having decent summer weather so I'm trying to let the kitties enjoy the fresh air in the house as much as possible. No thanks to Zoe Sassafras who likes outside now. Brat. I'm super paranoid now.

Norris is 9 grams and he's gained weight in the last 5 weeks. Oh. My. Goodness. What a tiny pooper he is! How much did he weigh when you brought him home? Dres was 47 grams when I opened his box but he's also 3.5 months old now. How old do you think Norris is?

Mirthy

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Norris is a tiny little fellow. When I first bought him I thought he must be a few weeks old right? No one sells newborns?!

This is a photo of Norris on my husbands fingers on July 9th or 10th. I know he took it while I was traveling for work so it was one of those two days. Keep in mind that we bought him on the 4th of July (easy to remember).

Norrishand6.jpg

This was my favorite first week picture of him because he's all puffed up and you can't see his little spine. I remember the day we got him home and I was trying to pet his head and the tip of my index finger didn't fit. I was trying to touch him as gently as possible.

He was in a viv with four other babies who were all the same size. I know they were eating crickets and meal worms but luckily for them, the staff preferred to feed them crickets because it was fun to watch so would often skip the mealies. The only other food they had was a commercial food with pellets that were WAY too big for them to eat at this size without being soaked ... so I guess that was just store procedures.
His first few days of cricket hunting were far more vigorous. He isn't such a little crazed dragon without all that other competition.

EDIT: I was just thinking about how the first day we had to swap some bulbs and I had Norris on my hand and he was basically hanging out on my thumb. He was all wrapped around it, it was so very adorable and probably warmer that way.

Mirthy

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
DSCF0264.jpg

Proof of what Norris normally thinks of green things.
"It's for laying on, right? Climbing? Umm, crikey lady, where's my crickets!"
This is from a few days past? I really can't remember. I look at this picture though and I want to somehow make him eat more. *LOL*
I have fat baby envy!

Mirthy

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Today was another big eating day for little Norris. 19 crickets, one small wax worm and 5 pellets. Hubby plopped him on the scale and he made double digits tonight!!! 10grams! Go Norris! :blob5:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom