How much have you invested???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krispy

Not sure if this has been posted, but I wondered how much everyone's invested in their dragon? I am a new owner so all of the costs came within a few months and I've only had this 1 beardie. I know there are alot of variables to this question but my cost so far is $550 (not including food and vet). This includes 3 tanks (sm, med, lrg), lighting (4 bulbs and 3 fixtures), tank accessories, temp probe and gun, and of course, the baby beardie :) My costs could have been lower but of course there were couple "mistake" purchases :banghead: At least I know now.

Curious to see all the different responses :)

Oh goodness, I don't even want to know!! LOL. The cost of live food is enough to give me a small heart attack :eek: It has ended up costing more to feed our BD than our two dogs plus our cat so far per month... I'm hoping to get that down when I start ordering in bulk. I'm going to have my husband build a new viv for ours then I can use the smaller tank for housing crickets. I'm hoping one ours is over a year he really goes down to the 20% live feed and 80% greens/vegies. Luckily he has started eating a lot more greens and vegies so I do have high hopes :)

wilddanny88

Juvie Member
Oh god, I've probably invested well over $800 on Guy. The last time I bought anything for myself and not Guy was mid-May! Most of the money I spent was all used on fixing the bad husbandry that PetSmart sold me and food! It was one of those desert animal kits... you know, one of the ones that come with all of the wrong stuff! :roll: The people at PetSmart even went so far as to tell me that some RepCal pellets is all he needed to eat! :angry5:

Majora

I got Majora the first week of June and I've spent upwards of $600 already. And that's with my discount, since I work at Petco and get most of my stuff there. Unfortunately we don't sell Reptisuns and some other essentials so I did have to go to Petsmart, Wal-mart, etc for a few things. I pretty much knew what I was in for with the setup, lighting etc but holy cow the live food really kills me. He eats so much. I probably spend five bucks a day feeding him.

Colesdad

we have had Slash for less than one month. My sister-in-law bought him and the "starter" kit from petsmart for my son (more me though :wink: ) The kit and dragon was 244.00. we went back and bought the "right" stuff, 174.00. Second batch of petsmart crickets was about 15.00. online order of crickets was about 30.00. second run to petsmart for food bowl and second round of store bought crickets, 50.00. Trip to grocery store for veggies to introduce to him, 10.00. and last night did a second online of crickets and worms 30.00. so, right now i am at 553.00 within the first month! so, from here on i have everything i need for his enviroment. now, i'll see how food and vets go :roll:

Dooter

Sub-Adult Member
I can't even answer this question without being embarrassed! :oops: :oops: :oops:

But I will, so maybe people considering a dragon will see what they are getting into when they decide to get one - they ain't cheap. Granted, I spoil her, but still.

Lets see, I'll try and roughly add it up - I've had her for 3 months.

Stella herself: 140
Stella's first viv and all accessories: 250
Live feeders: 300
Veggies: 40
Roach colony setup: 60
CustomCages 4x2x2 viv: 425
Lizard Luxuries set: 55
Vet visit: 200

...so almost $1500 ?

Krispy

Original Poster
Wow, things sure add up! I believe most of the cost comes from incorrect advice and husbandry...wish pet stores actually sold the right stuff the first time. I had to go back a few times or order online too. They may have worked for others but I don't think the kits are good. Probably spend less buying the "right" stuff individually.

I must be getting lucky with Smaugs appetite because the most he's eaten in 1 day was 12 crickets (and that's alot for him). Slowly eating more and more but I was never concerned because he still poops daily, eats a few bites of greens, and is now going through his second shed. Crickets here are about $0.16 each and I haven't tried the online route yet. I get about 3-4 dozen a week, collards and a squash so food cost is roughly $15. The upside is that their adults longer than babies so food will be cheaper later in life :)

I also hope this helps to put things in perspective for future owners. I don't regret spending this much at all though :)

Colesdad

Krispy" I also hope this helps to put things in perspective for future owners. :)[/quote said:
I totally agree, I hear so many people say they want one. And most of those people have no idea and would make terrible beardie parents!

idcouple

Hatchling Member
HMMM lets see I would have to guess just the setup and everything about 300, Bonnie herself 80, crickets so far 6, so not to bad yet we will see, oh and forgot the best part the smile she brings to our face when she does something cute: Priceless LOL

Coliosis

Juvie Member
I have 25 beardies at the moment, 20 babies, 1 juvie and 4 adults. I don't even want to think about how much we've spent so far lmao!

Scrammy

Hatchling Member
Ha... I try not to think about it much cuz I think I'm Pretty insane for spending this kind of money on a lizard!! Especially when my other bills are going unpaid! Lol. I was never a reptile person til I got my last bearded (R.I.P. Lucy) for my boyfriend to cheer him up.. I fell in love with her. She was a petsmart girl ..lots of bad advice caused me to have to our her down for impaction. I bet We spent 5-700 on her.

I still have a lot of stuff I need from her.. but not all. I get my new baby next month...I've spent about 700 so far and still have stuff I need yet! Insane! But I cant wait to get my baby...he/she is a week old now!

Krispy

Original Poster
Coliosis":246tb6gt said:
I have 25 beardies at the moment, 20 babies, 1 juvie and 4 adults. I don't even want to think about how much we've spent so far lmao!

I don't even want to think of that cost either!!! Lol :shock:

ynevar

Juvie Member
UMMMMM THAT amount is ENTIRELY confidential... being kept secret from the husband who has a vague idea but doesn't want to know the real number added up so we won't go there!

AHAHAHAHAHAHHA

A LOT!

Mistakes and all.

However, given the fact that these little buggers make me so happy I think he is just happy to see me so happy (even at the steep price) EEK!

XtinaBeardieMom

Juvie Member
Well, I started with 2 dragons about 4 months ago but as of a month ago I only have one (RIP my little Monster girl). I'm definitely in for well over $2,000. I used to keep track of all the funds, but I don't anymore. I'll try to remember some of the stuff I spent so much money on...

Dragons: $125 x 2 = $250
75gal 4ft glass enclosures: $230 and $120 = $350
Tank furniture (2 large branches, 2 hammocks, 2 log hides, 2 rock hides, food/water dishes, fake plants): $175
Dehumidifier: $45
Infrared temp gun: $70
Powersun 160w bulb: $65 x 3 = $195
Reptisun 10.0 bulb (after realizing it was too hot in TX to regulate temps w/out a dimmer & you can't dim an MVB): $26 x 3 = $78
Lamp stand: $25
Fluorescent tube fixtures: $30 x 2 = $60
Mounting brackets: $25
Outdoor enclosure/hutch: $100
First vet visit: $55 x 2 = $110
Prescribed meds: $30
Fecal tests: $35 x 5 so far = $175
2nd vet visit: $55
Blood work: $150
X-rays: $150
Cremation (RIP Monster): $130
Custom beardie box for Monster's ashes: $18
3rd vet visit: $55
Prescribed meds: $50
Ultrasound: FREE, but should've been $320 - very kind vet
Live feeders: $300
Dubia Colony Set-up: $50
Roach gut load chow: $25
Baby food: $10
Fresh produce: $75
Salad spinner: $10
Mortar & pestal (for pills): $5
My supplement & meds arsenal/first aid kit (including powdered calcium & vitamins, liquid calcium & vitamins, electrolytes, probiotics, Albon, Panacur, Toltrazuril, silver cream, Baytril, Terramycin, sterile eye irrigation wash, bee pollen, herbal supplement, Serrapeptase, Allopurinol, black cherry concentrate, black cherry powder, Critical/Carnivore Care, syringes): $275
Blankies & bed: $20
Harnesses/Leashes: $8 x 3 = $25
Traveling enclosures, heat pads, etc: $20
Phone consultations with Tracie: $45
Shipping charges for all this stuff: $50
Paper towels: Oh god, don't even ask

Having my little Lotus alive & well: PRICELESS!!!

So, anyone want to add all that up for me? I sure as heck don't or I may :puke: If anyone questions the validity of any of these costs, just let me know and I'll send you a copy of the receipt(s). I have ALL of them :wink:

MikeILC

Hatchling Member
XtinaLotusMonster":1fri6c8p said:
Well, I started with 2 dragons about 4 months ago but as of a month ago I only have one (RIP my little Monster girl). I'm definitely in for well over $2,000. I used to keep track of all the funds, but I don't anymore. I'll try to remember some of the stuff I spent so much money on...

Dragons: $125 x 2 = $250
75gal 4ft glass enclosures: $230 and $120 = $350
Tank furniture (2 large branches, 2 hammocks, 2 log hides, 2 rock hides, food/water dishes, fake plants): $175
Dehumidifier: $45
Infrared temp gun: $70
Powersun 160w bulb: $65 x 3 = $195
Reptisun 10.0 bulb (after realizing it was too hot in TX to regulate temps w/out a dimmer & you can't dim an MVB): $26 x 3 = $78
Lamp stand: $25
Fluorescent tube fixtures: $30 x 2 = $60
Mounting brackets: $25
Outdoor enclosure/hutch: $100
First vet visit: $55 x 2 = $110
Prescribed meds: $30
Fecal tests: $35 x 5 so far = $175
2nd vet visit: $55
Blood work: $150
X-rays: $150
Cremation (RIP Monster): $130
Custom beardie box for Monster's ashes: $18
3rd vet visit: $55
Prescribed meds: $50
Ultrasound: FREE, but should've been $320 - very kind vet
Live feeders: $300
Dubia Colony Set-up: $50
Roach gut load chow: $25
Baby food: $10
Fresh produce: $75
Salad spinner: $10
Mortar & pestal (for pills): $5
My supplement & meds arsenal/first aid kit (including powdered calcium & vitamins, liquid calcium & vitamins, electrolytes, probiotics, Albon, Panacur, Toltrazuril, silver cream, Baytril, Terramycin, sterile eye irrigation wash, bee pollen, herbal supplement, Serrapeptase, Allopurinol, black cherry concentrate, black cherry powder, Critical/Carnivore Care, syringes): $275
Blankies & bed: $20
Harnesses/Leashes: $8 x 3 = $25
Traveling enclosures, heat pads, etc: $20
Phone consultations with Tracie: $45
Shipping charges for all this stuff: $50
Paper towels: Oh god, don't even ask

Having my little Lotus alive & well: PRICELESS!!!

So, anyone want to add all that up for me? I sure as heck don't or I may :puke: If anyone questions the validity of any of these costs, just let me know and I'll send you a copy of the receipt(s). I have ALL of them :wink:
$3206 without counting the ultrasound :) I've pry spent about 2000 on my two babies. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom