Can I???

Status
Not open for further replies.

betsi2011

Just wondering if I could leave my beardies cage open to let him explore while I'm at work!! He is very good and understands that his cage is his home but as its getting
Hot here now I thought letting him have the run of the living room while I'm out.... Any thoughts??

bugkodee

As long as there is nothing harmful he could get into (mouse traps, ant killer, etc) and you don't mind the potential of poop anywhere; go for it. I let my adults roam the house for hours and they generally find a corner and take a nap.

bugkodee

Also, be mindful that he could end up ANYWHERE. So be sure to check under recliners before sitting down and so on.

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
I have let my girl out in my bedroom/bathroom when I am around the house or outside. She seems fine with that for a few hours. I just watch when I come in the room so I don't step on her.

betsi2011

Original Poster
Yeah I just worried about him not getting enough UVB if I let him out all the time when im not there!! Or do you think he knows he needs that?? I'm gunna try it and see how it goes :)

EmAndWillow

I wouldn't ever do that with my dragon, you have to take into consideration every hour he/she spends outside the viv is another hour without the benefits of heat and UV :) think about all the money spent on making the enclosure perfect it defeats the object if the beardie can run free all day. I also personally would never let my bearded dragon alone un-supervised because you never know what crazy things could happen! i wouldn't want to come home from work and find something bad, but its up to you, if you do let him/her out i would only do it 1-2 days a week

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
you can always set up a basking area outside the viv. get him used to it being there so he'll go to it when he gets cold.

you could also set up a webcam (if you have one) to try to cover as much area as possible, then you can go back and watch where he ran to in case you can't find him. also see about a site that lets you stream live video so you can check while at work.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
My living room is beardie proofed & I have built a ramp with a power sun on a lampstand at the top. I have 5 adult males, so they get out one at a time to run around. When I'm at work I have one dragon that I let out, as he won't try to hide during the day. When I'm home on the weekends, they all get a turn again. It's a great way to give them freedom but they have a spot for heat & UVB for during the times when they want to warm up & sit under the sun. So that's a suggestion. Making the place beardie proofed before doing this is also recommended so he can't get into the rest of the house & then you're hunting high & low looking for him, which can take hours, as they're really good hiders. I have experience with this, as left one of the barriers off one day by accident & found the one that was out at the time under my dresser at the very back, plus took over 2 hours to find him! That was such a pain to get him out of there, too. Another dragon that I hear about climbed the curtains & hid in plain sight on the curtain holder! So you never know. But having him out & about would be great exercise for him, so I'd go for it!

gothra

I let my beardie free roam a section of my apartment. I used gates to shut off the corridor, and so he can "play" all he wants between my bedroom and the gecko room. It's okay if he doesn't get UV and heat for a few hours; just a few hours won't hurt. My beardie won't leave his enclosure for long though, he will only move in and out to check out spaces during midday. :D

betsi2011

Original Poster
Today I let him out and everything was ok no poop left as of yet :) he seemed to enjoy it but he is really tired and it's only 5.30pm.... We are cuddling up as we speak bless him :)

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
betsi2011":1ui34gas said:
Today I let him out and everything was ok no poop left as of yet :) he seemed to enjoy it but he is really tired and it's only 5.30pm.... We are cuddling up as we speak bless him :)

he was probably looking at EVERYTHING!

Momofdraco

Well my Draco haven't go in his cage for a month. My Draco doesn't like cage a bit, eventually if I put him in cage for only twenty mins and he will crawls to get out. So I comes up with second home next to my bed. Where I set up UVB light, heat pad, sand, and wood branch. He loves to see beside me, under blanket until in mornig he will crawl to his wood branch til I woke up and feed him. He loves to hangout around my room when I'm there, as if I went to other room he would crawls to find me.

He's doing very well! He is very active bearded. He loves to go outside, he will crawls the slide door so I allow he go outside alone in balcony for hours. Until he feel satfiated he will crawls on slide door, and I would just open the door and allow he back in.

I even took him to my friend house for poker tournament, he loves it especially love to hold my chips. He dont mind with so many people, especially the kids whose won't leave him alone but he managed it very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom