Giving my beardies a bath?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prophet

I keep reading where people are giving them a bath and wrapping them up as "burrito" but these are my first beardies and a they are rescue's at that... so I have never done this before... any pointers? Do I just take them out and put them in the tub lol... not sure if there are any do's or dont's... and what is the point in wrapping them?

FaaFaa

Sub-Adult Member
OK you can use tub or sink. I'd go with the sink if they are little or for the 1st time. Put a towel or washcloth on the bottom for traction and fill the sink/tub with warm water to about the armpits of your beardies. (Note...my boy used to hate running water in the beginning, I had to fill the sink and turn the water off before putting him in or he would spaz) If it's a first bath there is a good chance there will be protesting. They will get used to it and might even learn to love it. Don't leave them at all, stay close and watch or maybe offer a hand to calm them down if they are jumpy. Be ready for poo, a lot of beardies will poo in the warm water, it relaxes them. Just change the water if they do. Leave them in for as long as they will stand it. Some people only bath a few times a week, and others bath everyday. I perfer everyday just because mine will poo and then it's not in the viv. If and when you decide to cuddle your babies is up to you. All a burrito is is a beardie wrapped in a towel or blanket. Mine get bathed in the morning so they don't get wrapped up then. I wrap mine and cuddle them everynight until they fall asleep. They sit and watch TV with me. Once they got used to it they loved it. They will both snuggle down into their blankets and off to sleep they go. Hope this helped you. Let us know if there is anything else we can help with. Do you have pics of your babies somewhere?

Jen

Prophet

Original Poster
Thanks Jen! that explains alot... you think it is okay if I bath them together or one at a time? And what are some of the signs I should look for in a stressed beardie?

I have pictures of them in my intro thread: Click Here

I will update that thread since I have taken all the sand out and replaced it with repti carpet until I get there new cage built. I also removed all the plants and other ornaments so they have more room...

FaaFaa

Sub-Adult Member
I would maybe bathe them one at a time that way you can have better control of the situation. See how the respond and then maybe you can bathe them together later. A stressed beardie will be darker in color and have stress marks on their bellies. Instead of the bellies being nice and white there will be dark lines all over.

It sounds like you are starting to get things on the right track. Keep up the good work!

Jen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom