Worried about mating dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shocka311

Hey I have a male and female dragon. They have been seperated untill recently because the female is much younger. I think she is about a year and 4 or 5 months and about 3/4 his size. Their terreriums were next to eachothers before so the male has been a very [word removed by mod as this is a PG-13 forum] dragon for about a year and I recently put them together. The male has been mating with her a TON since I put them together and I'm worried that he is wearing her out. The other concern and my main concern is the back of her neck is getting really raw from him biting her while mating. Should I be concerned and do I need to do anythin?

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I would separate them again. From what I've read over breading, and breading to young (as your female MIGHT be) is not good for them.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree that they should be separted. The breeding has taken place so it's best to give the female a break as she is probably very stressed out. Be sure to keep an eye on the neck area to watch for signs of infection.

Shocka311

Original Poster
Well then I guess i will be seperating them. We were hoping to only have one tank in the house for the dragons. Can you ever really just keep them together all the time? Manasa (the female) looks really happy with Mortegryl (the male). She is very brightly colored and has no stress marks. She waves and bows to him all the time too and just looks alot happier with him.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You really shouldn't keep them together all the time because as you mentioned in your 1st post, he will breed with her non-stop and that will wear her out, stress her out or even worse. When she is waving and bowing to him, that means she is being submissive to try to prevent conflict, knowing that he is the dominant beardie in the tank.

Shocka311

Original Poster
That does seem to be the case. I guess I will move her back, they just seem so lonely when they arent together. Should I only put them together when I'm trying to breed them or can I keep them together alot of the time and just give her breaks for a few days a week?

auntylolo

Extreme Poster
That would also be very stressful for her, moving into a different viv every few days. As you have seen, every time they are together, he will try to mate her so she really needs her own viv so she can relax and make healthy eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulesD
Top Bottom