How often do adult Beardies go pottie

Status
Not open for further replies.

COldham

Couldn't think of a better way of putting it. I have just acquired a Beardie (a little over a year old). I brought him home last Friday. The day I got him, store noticed that it seemed one leg was a little limp but didn't seem to know why. I immediately got on internet and connected to this web site. I read the article about impaction but Spike doesn't seem to have level of symptoms to indicate he has this. I massaged him and held him as well as placed him over the under-aquarium heat pad (he is in fact moving all legs now). None the less I have given him warm bath as well (nothing). I called back to the store who had him for approximately one week and they stated that he had done something the second day there - nothing since.

I love him and am glad I have him. Just need to know how often do adults poop - maybe I am worrying about nothing. Thanks

COldham

Original Poster
I am new to this so I posted this and then started browsing other posts. Found many already addressing a similar type issue. I am reading all of them, trying some additional methods offered and hope to see results soon.

WOW. Just like raising your first child....thank goodness for this sight because, unlike with your first child, Mom probably wouldn't be able to help me with Spike....

Mommy of Sunny

Juvie Member
I had the same question awhile ago. I found that most answers were "once a day" for one that age.

My Sunny usually goes every couple of days. So if I know he is "due", I give him a nice warm bath. I noticed that if the water is warmer, he goes much more quickly. If the water is luke warm, he doesn't seem to go, but if it is warmer, he goes right when I put him in the sink. As long as the water is not too hot for you, I think it will be AOK for your beardie.

I like to have him go in the sink so that I don't have to clean his viv!! :wink:

COldham

Original Poster
Thank you. I will try the warmer water and let you know what happens. You make me feel better about the water temp because I was afraid so the water I used was tepid to me.

Mommy of Sunny

Juvie Member
I was a little nervous too about the water temp. But once I put him in the warmer water, he just did his business really quick.

Good luck...I found this board REALLY helpful. I just got Sunny in December and had a lot to learn. No questions are silly, especially when it comes to your baby!!! That just means you care!!! :wink:

LJean

Extreme Poster
I've also used water a bit warmer to help things along. :)

Has he eaten much for you? What are his basking temps? Sometimes a warmer basking temp helps too. But you don't want them too high.

COldham

Original Poster
Funny thing is he is eating (would think he would stop since he hasn't pottied), is alert and sociable. Basking is between 95 and 100.

He hasn't gone yet. I don't want to bath him too much in one day so if that doesn't work, is there something else to try. I saw where someone mentioned having their's on a heating pad on their stomach and it worked.

I know I will just feel better when I know that all his functions work. Then I feel I can learn about his personality a little bit and be more comfortable.

LJean

Extreme Poster
You could try a little bit of unsweetened applesauce mixed with a little olive oil. The applesauce will help flavor the olive oil. Or canned pumpkin (not the pie filling). Many say it works wonders. ;)

COldham

Original Poster
I'm getting ready to go into town. I am picking up the canned pumpkin, unsweetened applesauce, mineral oil. I have the olive oil already. I am going to keep it on hand from now on. If he doesn't do something by the time I get back, I will try one.

Thank you so much for working with me to help Spike. It is amazing how fast one gets attached to our pets.

COldham

Original Poster
SUCCESS.....I went to check on him as I was getting ready to leave and found that he took care of business. He looks as happy as me.....

I am still going to get the other items to have available (just in case).

Thank you all for helping out.

Cathy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom